Automotive

Adelaide 500 confirmed as new SA Motorsport Board head named

The SAMB will be responsible for delivering the return of the Adelaide 500 Supercars race, which will be held from December 1-4 this year.

Adelaide Oval Chief Executive Andrew Daniels will lead the Malinauskas Labor Government’s new South Australian Motorsport Board, charged with delivering the Adelaide 500.

Premier Peter Malinauskas will appoint Mr Daniels as Chair of the board and he will be charged with appointing a chief executive for the SAMB.

“Andrew Daniels has a strong track record as an administrator when it comes to major events and in particular major sporting events and concerts,” said Premier Peter Malinauskas. “The beauty of the Adelaide 500 is that it combines a major sporting event with major concerts.”

The SAMB will be responsible for delivering the return of the Adelaide 500 Supercars race, which will be held from December 1-4 this year. It will also oversee the return of the Adelaide Motorsport Festival later this year.

Mr Daniels has been the Chief Executive of the Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority since May 2012 and will step down from that position in May this year.

During his tenure at Adelaide Oval, he has helped oversee the construction and official opening of the Oval’s redevelopment, major sporting events and concerts, the opening of Oval Hotel and guided the Oval through the challenges of COVID-19.

He was previously Chief Executive of the original South Australian Motorsport Board which staged the Clipsal 500, General Manager of Australian Major Events, Commercial Manager of the South Australian Tourism Commission and Deputy Chief Executive of the Australian Formula One Grand Prix Board.

“I have every confidence Andrew Daniels will help deliver a world-class event for South Australians this December,” said the Premier.

Bringing back the Adelaide 500 is one of Labor’s key election commitments. The race was cancelled by the Marshall Liberal Government in 2020.

[adrotate banner="159"]
To Top