After a three year hiatus, the Adelaide Italian Festival is returning this November, and it’s set to be bigger than ever before.
This year’s organisers of the festival have reformatted the usual weekend event, now to be spread across ten days, at multiple venues across the city.
From Aperol Spritz parties, gnocchi masterclasses, feasts, cultural events and so much more, there is a lot to discover at this year’s festival.
The first Italian Festival was held in Rundle Mall in 1976, and was a parade made up of migrant families that travelled from Victoria Square to Elder Park, before ending with celebrations in the Mall itself.
Originally called The Italian Festival, and later known as “Carnevale”, the Adelaide Italian Festival is proud to return to its original name.
Historically, the festival has been a means of inspiring young people to embrace their Italian heritage, and for the wider community to experience Italian culture.
The Adelaide Italian Festival week kicks off with an evening of cocktails, fine food, and music, set amongst the vines and under the stars at Leawood Gardens on Friday 13 November, and wraps up with a closing gala on Sunday 22 November.
The full schedule of events is as follows:
- Cocktails in the vines – Friday, 13 November 7:30pm – 11:30pm
- Journey – Cathedral Mass – Saturday 14 November 3:30pm
- Inaugural Italian – Australian Space Forum – Monday 16 November 5:00pm – 08:00pm
- Friuli Venezia Giulia & its People – Friday 13 to Tuesday 17 November 2:00pm – 6:00p
- A Cheeky Italian Dinner with Amanda Vanstone and Marco Furlan – Tuesday 17 November 7:00pm
- Influence of Italian Culture on Australian Interior Architecture & Design – Wednesday 18 November
- Aria @ SAHMRI- Wednesday 18 November 6:00pm – 08:30pm
- Masterclass in Gnocchi Making – Thursday 19 November 6:00pm – 09:00pm
- Italian Breakfast in the Central Market – Friday 20 November
- Aperol Sessions @ Peel St – Friday 20 November
- La Grande Gita – Italian Cycling Experience – Saturday, 21 November
- Italian Vehicle Exhibition – Sunday 22 November
- Concerto in Giardino – Sunday 22 November 2:00pm – 05:30pm
- Festa by the Lake (18+) – Sunday 22 November 12:00pm – 4:30pm