Adelaide Oval has been prominently featuring South Australian produce on its menu for many years. Now, that support is being taken one step further with the launch of its new Signature South Australian menu, made exclusively with locally sourced produce.
The menu has been championed by Adelaide Oval Executive Chef Philip Pope, who is a passionate advocate for local growers and producers. In his role, he regularly gets to hear firsthand from them just what it means to have their products served at Adelaide Oval.
He has also noticed an increased demand from functions and events guests for menus that are made with 100% locally sourced produce.
“We are so fortunate in South Australia to be able to serve a wide range of fresh, quality produce,” he said.
“But with seasonality, creating a menu that is made with 100% locally sourced ingredients definitely takes more work. There is a lot more planning involved in terms of considering alternative products or connecting with new producers.”
The extra work is something the whole Adelaide Oval team is passionate about doing and the venue is proud to now offer functions and events clients the option to serve their guests with food that is sourced entirely from within the State.
“The Signature South Australian menu will be adapted to suit what’s in season and what’s available locally, so the ingredients will always be at their best,” Chef Pope said.
“We know our function and events clients will love the opportunity to show their appreciation for our local food industry by way of their menu selection and look forward to showcasing the best of SA for their guests.”
Some of the South Australian produce on the Signature SA menu includes:
- Island Beehive – Kangaroo Island honey produced by the Ligurian bee, with a delicate and subtle flavour and one of the first organic honey producers in Australia.
- Paringa Farm – primarily a Suffolk crossbred lamb, sourced from the rich fertile pastures of the Adelaide Hills and Fleurieu Peninsula, then provided premium grain at Paringa Farm in Callington.
- Tucker’s Natural – gourmet crackers, free from artificial preservatives, flavours and colourings
- Pomigold – handpicked pomegranates grown at an orchard in Woodside.
- Clean Seas – hiramasa kingfish sustainably farmed in the Spencer Gulf in a remote location off Port Lincoln.
- Section28 Artisan Cheeses – hard and semi-hard Alpine cheeses, handcrafted in the Adelaide Hills.
Section28 Artisan Cheeses founder and principal cheesemaker Kym Masters said he was proud to be a supplier to Adelaide Oval.
“Initiatives such as Adelaide Oval’s Signature South Australian menu are vital for businesses such as mine, even more so in recent times where we’ve faced challenges such as COVID and the 2019 bushfires,” he said.
“To have the surety of supply as well as the profile and brand awareness that comes with being available at such an iconic venue means a lot to us.”
Signature SA is available now for Adelaide Oval Functions & Events guests. The full menu can be viewed here.