Photo credit: AAP, Crows training at West Lakes June 2
South Australia’s Premier, Steven Marshall, joined by SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens have announced in a press conference today that the AFL Showdown game this weekend will be allowed spectators.
A crowd of 2,000 people will be allowed into the Adelaide Oval this weekend, with 250 people in private rooms in the stadium complex.
“The Adelaide Oval has a very detailed plan on how to accommodate the number of people,” Mr Stevens says.
This exemption is said to be due to the successfully operated Black Lives Matter protest in Victoria Square on Saturday 5 June.
“For a one off extraordinary event we had to take a different set of standards,” he says.
However, Mr Stevens stated that there will not be an exemption for any further large-crowd, public protests due to public health risks.
“I will not be providing an exemption for a second protest event, we acknowledge the public sentiment so it was appropriate to give consideration to that,” Mr Stevens says.
“Also acknowledging that we were unable to prevent that from happening.”
Mr Stevens says that if another protest is to happen, those who attend will run the risk of being fined with an expiation notice.
He further reiterated that the Saturday protest was an extraordinary event that SA Police could not prevent from happening, which resulted in their decision to work with the organisers in ensuring it occurred as safely as possible.
Mr Marshall says that the spectator allowance is also due to consistent high testing numbers, with last week being a record number of tests.
Further details on Stage Three, its starting date, the easing of border restrictions, further info in regards to larger venues (hospitality and churches) will be provided on Friday following the next Transition Committee meeting.
More to come.