Following consecutive days with no COVID-19 cases reported from the Thebarton cluster, restrictions have both relaxed and tightened in South Australia.
South Australia’s Police Commissioner, Grant Stevens, has announced that as of Friday 21 August, cross border communities will no longer have free travel into SA from Victoria.
People who previously had approval to enter for employment, education, providing or receiving care and support, food, petrol, or medical supplies will now need to apply for approval under the existing and remaining essential traveller requirements.
Mr Stevens says that this is a critical step of ensuring the safety of regional communities and to the wider metropolitan area.
Exemptions will be allowed for farmers whose properties span across the border, students in years 11 and 12, with further exemptions granted for health, based on individual circumstances.
In contrast, an amendment has been announced regarding gatherings in private dwellings.
The current restriction of a maximum of 10 people has now been changed to 10 in addition to those who reside in the house. The maximum number of at home gatherings is capped at 20.
Private gatherings not at home are capped at 100.
“All these details are made on the basis of health advice,” Mr Stevens says.
From Friday 21 August, a range of venues will also need to implement a ‘COVID Safe Marshal’ in their premises to enforce the social distancing rules.
This addition will be for licensed premises such as cafes, restaurants, bars, food courts, large shopping centres and shopping precincts, gymnasiums and places of worship.
According to Mr Stevens, venues themselves can refuse entry, and while marshals are not given this power, they are a visual reminder of social distancing.
Businesses who experience a large flow of customers will need to appoint a COVID Safe Marshal who will need to undergo training.