However you’re spending the Australia Day long weekend, Wine Australia is encouraging everyone to make sure that if there’s wine on the table, it’s an Aussie wine from one of our 65 diverse wine regions.
Australia produces world-class wines so when better to enjoy a glass of local wine than on Australia Day, which has become synonymous with celebrating all that’s great about the Aussie way of life.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Australia has 65 wine regions, more than any other country in the world!
- Australia produces wines using more than 100 different grape varieties meaning no matter what your taste, there’s an Aussie wine that you’ll love
- Around 30 million glasses of Australian wine are consumed each day across the globe.*
TIPS FOR CHOOSING AN AUSSIE WINE THIS AUSTRALIA DAY
If you’re not quite sure what Aussie wine to match with your Australia Day lunch or BBQ, follow these tips and you might just discover a new favourite in the process.
- Love cheese and wine? Try a King Valley Pinot Grigio or Queensland Verdelho with a delicious selection of locally made cheeses
- We are lucky enough to have some of the greatest seafood in the world and dishes like BBQ lime and chilli crayfish match perfectly with Semillon Sauvignon Blanc blends from Margaret River or Riverland Vermentino
- Celebrating at your favourite beach? Fresh and vibrant Hunter Valley Semillon is a perfect match for fish and chips
- Bubbles and celebrations go hand in hand, just like world-class Tasmanian sparkling wine with freshly shucked oysters
- Celebrate our multicultural heritage by pairing soy and ginger salmon with fresh and zesty Riesling fromGreat Southern in WA or Clare Valley in SA
- Match a Sauvignon Blanc from Orange in NSW with pan-seared scallops in a tomato, basil and white wine sauce
- A warm Australian summer day and a platter of locally cured meats, cheeses, pickles and preserves just needs a glass of chilled Grenache Rosé from McLaren Vale to make it the perfect Australia Day picnic
- Throwing another prawn on the barbie? Try an elegant Mornington Peninsula Chardonnay with BBQ Crystal Bay prawns and rocket salad
- Lamb and Australia Day. Just like strawberries and cream, some things are meant to be together. Serve succulent BBQ lamb chops with juicy and vibrant Yarra Valley Pinot Noir or a Barossa Valley Shiraz
- The classic dessert of pavlova topped with mixed berries and mint is only made better with a cool, sparkling Moscato.
Share your Aussie wine experience this Australia day online with #aussiewine for #australiaday.