Recently the event reached an major milestone, raising $500,000 for the Cancer Council SA which is an incredible effort.
The event has been going since 2014 and it sees over 200 women (and a few men!) swimming or paddling 400 metres around the Brighton Jetty—all dressed head to toe as ‘50s icon Marilyn Monroe.
Event founder Sarah Tinney and her collection of inspiring Marilyns have been donning the blonde Marilyn Monroe wig and bathing suit for the past seven years.
Sarah said that she is incredibly proud of the half a million-dollar difference that the Marilyn’s have made in the lives of those impacted by cancer.
“When we started the swim nearly eight years ago, I never thought it would become what it is today—it makes me incredibly proud to know how much money we’ve raised to support those impacted by cancer,” she said.
It’s clear that the Marilyn Jetty Swim has become such an important part of Cancer Council SA’s fundraising efforts as well as bringing such a strong sense of community for the women and men involved in the swim.
Cancer Council SA Community Fundraising Officer Emma McKee said the Marilyn Jetty Swim is a great example of people coming together to make a difference.
“Dressing head to toe as everyone’s favourite 50s icon for the iconic Marilyn Jetty Swim is not only heaps of fun, it’s also one of the most empowering ways you can make a difference to South Australians impacted by cancer,” Emma said.
There’s still time to register for the event and at the time of writing they have raised over $35,000 of their $100,000 fundraising goal.
The Marilyn Jetty swim takes place on Feb 7th 2021 at the Brighton Jetty at Esplanade, Brighton, Adelaide, South Australia, 5048.
- Iconic Prairie Hotel to undergo $1.5m refurbThe refurbishment of the Prairie Hotel will see internal upgrade of the bar and restaurant, accommodation and the inclusion of a new Brewhouse in the hotel.
- Mercato continues Italian tradition with passata-making eventsFamily, celebration and the joys of Italy come together in February as Mercato continues an Italian tradition and hosts its annual passata days.
- Celebrate Gluttony’s 10th Birthday at Fringe!In 2021, Gluttony has curated a program with over 100 shows across 12 venues in Rymill Park/Murlawirrapurka.
- Enjoy Payneham Poolside party this Australia DayPoolside event will feature classic Australian tunes, a sausage sizzle, giant inflatable pool toys and fun for all the family.
- Sparkke at the Whitmore to hold “26 January At Our Place”26 January At Our Place will showcase a photographic exhibition of 13 portraits celebrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women.