South Australia’s Callum Hann is coming off the back of placing fourth in MasterChef Australia: Back To Win.
Having spent the past ten years honing his skills in the kitchen, and building Sprout Cooking School & Health Studio, Callum is a familiar name in foodie households.
We caught up with Callum to chat returning to Masterchef for the third time, what he’s been up to since filming ended, and improving home cooking skills with three relatively simple tips.
Callum also provided a rather delicious sounding recipe for Pumpkin & Black Bean Tortilla Lasagne, as seen below:
Callum Hann’s Pumpkin & Black Bean Tortilla Lasagne
Serves 6 (or 4 with leftovers!)
- 1⁄2 butternut pumpkin, diced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- Pinch Salt
- 2 tablespoons oil, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 x 400g cans Old El Paso black beans, drained and rinsed 700g jar tomato passata
- One packet Old El Paso soft tortillas
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Sour cream, avocado and chopped coriander, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place pumpkin, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, salt and oil in a bowl and toss until well combined. Transfer to a lined baking tray and roast for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat a wide based frying pan over high heat with the remaining oil. Add the capsicum, onion, chilli and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in paprika, black beans and a pinch of salt. Add passata then cook for 4-5 minutes or until passata has slightly reduced and darkened in colour. Remove from heat.
- Place a tortilla into a snug fitting baking dish. Place a spoonful of the black bean sauce, a few pieces of pumpkin and a sprinkling of grated cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, finishing with cheese. Transfer to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted and is golden brown.
- Serve lasagne with sour cream, avocado and chopped coriander.