COVID-19

26 COVID Cases in SA confirmed as changes to quarantine requirements announced

26 Covid-19 cases annouced today as Premier Steven Marshall addressed the public. Changes to quarantine requirements were also announced.

Premier Steven Marshall addressed the South Australian public with the latest on the total number of COVID-19 cases identified today which has climbed to 26. 

Premier Marshall said SA Health is still concerned about Omicron as NSW cases continue to surge.

However, International quarantine requirements have been reduced back down to 7 days, down from the previous 14 implemented in the risk of Omicron, which Marshall says will be a huge relief for those who booked their tickets to see their families over the Christmas break.

The Premier wanted to clarify the rules around domestic and international arrival testing claiming testing at the airport isn’t required, you are permitted to travel to a different testing site closer to home – “as long as you don’t visit the cinema on the way” said Marshall during the press conference.

SA Health is still encouraging anyone with symptoms to get tested regardless if you have travelled or been in contact with a confirmed case. 

“We are going to continue having more cases in SA. There are fewer than 1400 people in quarantine. We were tight in the early days, “ said the Premier. 

Vaccinated close contacts are required to complete 7 days of isolation, which has been shortened from 14, allowing vaccinated South Australians to celebrate Christmas out of isolation. 

Marshall stated that we have moved from the elimination phase into the suppression phase of the virus and the easing of restrictions.

The Marshall Government is striving to increase vaccination rates in SA’s APY Lands, which was announced to have COVID-19 traces in the wastewater earlier this week, with rapid antigen tests announced that are also to be used in certain health settings.

“We have very good vaccination rates in our aged care facilities,” said Marshall, who said it could be possible nothing further comes from these two cases. 

“We’ve sprung into action, we’ve limited the amount of people who can come on-site…we know that it’s a vulnerable cohort.” 

“It’s been tough on the industry…but working together, we’ve been able to keep people in those residential aged care facilities safe.”

“We are not taking any chances though,” said Marshall.

It’s the public health protocol to announce that there was an exposure site, as it is a requirement to go get tested due to the risk of an individual having an asymptomatic infection. Marshall described the testing protocol and exposure site announcement as speed bumps for SA to implement to allow us to return to COVID-normality “It’s still important we don’t let it run through our state, so we’ve put road blocks in place,” said Marshall”

The Premier also stated that we have moved from the elimination phase into the suppression phase of the virus and the easing of restrictions.

Yesterday there were 17,000 tests in South Australia.

During the press conferences upgrades to the states, palliative care wards were announced. 

Premier Steven Marshall announced a new palliative care ward will be open to patients from Wednesday next week. 

We are “putting a huge number of additional beds across South Australia.”

A new facility for palliative care will be added to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital and brand-new palliative care, 20-bed ward has been added to the Modbury Hospital and will be accepting patients from next Wednesday. 

The Repat Hospital will be downgraded to build up the facilities at Modbury Hospital. These changes in funding will see a huge number of additional beds across South Australia. 

The premier was excited to announce the benefits of the $1.1B shake-ups to the SA health system

“For people of the North East – brand new palliative care 20-bed suite for people to be transferred to next Wednesday,” said Premier Marshall. 

The new facilities will feature beautiful light spacious rooms, gardens and therapy rooms, amongst other facilities. 

Important things to note:

You may not always receive a call, SMS or email from SA Health.

You must follow the relevant health advice even if you have not been contacted.

If you have any COVID-19 symptoms, no matter how mild, please seek testing as soon as possible.

For more information on health advice and requirements for households, visit www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/COVIDcontacttracing.

Find your nearest testing site at www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/COVIDtesting


Want more news from Glam Adelaide?

• Follow us on Facebook
• Follow us on Twitter
• Follow us on Instagram

Get the latest news in your inbox
• Subscribe to our eNews

[adrotate banner="159"]
To Top