South Australia Premier Steven Marshall announced the state of the Cherry Gardens fire has been downgraded but still poses a threat.
“I’m happy to report the Cherry Gardens fire in Adelaide Hills has been downgraded to ‘watch and act,’” Marshall said.
“But I’d like to emphasise that the Cherry Gardens fire is still uncontrolled.”
While no official cause of the fire has been announced, SA’s Minister for Police, Emergency Services and Correctional Services Vincent Tarzia referenced the arrested suspect who was caught driving away from the fires on Sunday. The Minister stressed this crime elicits a firm response.
“These sorts of acts are absolutely despicable. We condemn them,” he said.
“The penalties are very severe for this sort of thing.”
On Sunday, 250 firefighters worked overnight to suppress the fires, which have now burnt 2,500 hectares of land and 11 structures. The suppression strategy continues today, with 400 firefighters on ground and six firefighting air crafts overhead.
“It could have been a lot worse if it weren’t for the hard work of the crews on the ground,” CFS State Duty Commander Yvette Dowling said.
While dry conditions, high temperatures, and high fuel loads exacerbated the flames, this week’s rain and lessening winds will likely help to extinguish the fires and mitigate risks of spreading. However, residents are still encouraged to proceed with caution because the fires are ongoing.
“There’s going to be some sort of fire behaviour probably for the next week,” Dowling said.
Marshall encouraged viewers to download the Alert SA App to stay updated with Cherry Gardens fire South Australian Fire and Emergency Services Commission.
More to come.
- Eden Hills CFS fields first all-female crew in its history“A firey’s a firey at Eden Hills, regardless of gender, but we felt this was worth a mention.”
- SA4SA Bushfire Appeal Gala wins Community Event of the Year at 2021 City of Adelaide Citizen of the Year AwardsGlam Adelaide CEO Kelly Noble and Showcase South Australia CEO Steve Testar have been awarded the prestigious Community Event of the Year at the Adelaide Citizen of the Year Awards.
- The latest updates from the Cherry Gardens bushfireThe latest Cherry Gardens bushfire updates and gallery of images.
- SA bushfire key resources – links, contacts, and donationsSome important information considering the ongoing bushfire threat in South Australia.
- SA Health issues health warning regarding bushfire smokeSmoke blanketing South Australia may pose health risks to people with chest or heart conditions. SA Health are recommending people stay indoors and shut windows and doors.