It’s with great excitement that we can announce Dr Catherine Kidman of Wynns Coonawarra has taken out the top honour for Viticulturist of the Year 2020 at the Australian Women in Wine Awards.
Dr Kidman has had a sensational year already, winning the Gourmet Traveller Wine perpetual Viticulturist of the Year award last month, cementing her place in the Australian wine industry.
The winners of the 2020 Australian Women in Wine Awards were announced via a live celebration filled broadcast.
The online-only event was broadcast from the Langton’s TV studios in Sydney to the Australian Women in Wine Facebook page, where it was watched by wine industry folk across the country, and around the world.
The event was co-hosted by comedian, TV and radio personality, Merrick Watts, and AWIWA Founder and Chair, Jane Thomson.
During the broadcast, the hosts crossed to several gatherings taking place across Tasmania, Margaret River, Canberra, the Barossa and North East Victoria; showing a sneak peek of how people were celebrating the night.
Jane Thomson said that while it had been a tough year for all, the calibre of the winners demonstrates an incredible breadth and depth of female talent in our industry.
“I’m so overjoyed that were able to keep the awards going this year, and that we could deliver an online event that brought the industry together in celebration.
“These awards continue to each year uncover even more amazing stories of achievement – and resilience – by women in the Australian wine industry. Congratulations to each and every one of them,” says Thomson.
The 2020 AWIWA winners are:
- Winemaker of the Year – sponsored by Tonnellerie Saint Martin
- Cate Looney, Brown Family Wine Group, Vic
- Champion of Diversity & Equality – sponsored by Australian Grape and Wine
- Helen Strachan, Pernod Ricard Winemakers, SA
- Marketer of the Year – sponsored by denomination
- Trish Barry, Mastermind Consulting, NSW
- Cellar Door Person of the Year – sponsored by Langton’s
- Jess Greatwich, Krondorf Creek Farm, SA
- Viticulturist of the Year – sponsored by Wine Australia
- Catherine Kidman, Wynns Coonawarra, SA
- Owner / Operator of the Year – sponsored by Bacchus Academy
- Melissa Brown, Gemtree Wines, SA
- Woman of Inspiration Award
- Gill Gordon-Smith