The 2020 AFL season has been postponed after just one round in response to COVID-19.
In a press conference this afternoon, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan confirmed the season will be immediately suspended until May 31, 2020.
The season will then be reviewed, with the potential for the restart date to be extended.
The 2020 NAB AFL Women’s season has been cancelled, with no premiership to be awarded.
Over the next forty-eight hours, McLachlan says drastic and immediate steps will be taken to cut costs.
The focus is keeping players, staff, and supporters well during this pandemic.
“We all need to to take the unprecedented and required actions to get through this together,” he said, also commenting on the requirement to do everything that needs to be done to slow the spread of the virus.
Training will be suspended as the AFL works with clubs on next steps.
The AFL plan is to play all remaining games plus finals this year, with McLachlan stressing the importance of remaining agile and flexible as to when these games will be held.
The scheduled Hawthorn-Brisbane and West Coast-Melbourne games will be completed to finish off round one.
More info to come.
- COVID-19 PM Update: Free Childcare Announced, Workplace Leave DoubledThe Prime Minister has announced that for parents who need childcare, it will become a free service.
- COVID-19: Preliminary Signs Show Curve Flattening, New Courses To Train 20k NursesOver 3000 nurses are returning to the workforce, to help cope with the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Driveway Commemoration Of ANZAC Day Dawn Service Encouraged'Light Up The Dawn' and commemorate ANZAC Day, whether that be from within your home, or at your driveway.
- Adelaide Guitar Festival 2020 Cancelled With Community Programs In The WorksNoting the closure of Adelaide Festival Centre venues to the public, the ban on public gatherings and interstate and international travel restrictions which have significantly impacted artists and programming.
- National Pharmacies Alerts Customers After Staff Tests Positive To COVID-19Important information if you visited the impacted store on March 29 or 30.