South Australia’s Premier Steven Marshall and Sharon Kendall, SA Regional Chief Executive Officer at Calvary Hospital have held another press conference in Adelaide to give an update on the state’s COVID-19 situation.
Update on cases
South Australia now has 407 known cases. Since yesterday, we’ve had 11 new cases. These people range in age from teens through to people in their 70s. As usual, if there are schools involved we will inform you. That info isn’t available yet as interviews are still underway. To date we’ve had 46 recoveries.
In relation to the Adelaide Airport baggage handler cluster, there are now 25 people in the cluster.
There are 16 baggage handlers who have tested positive, and 9 family members and close contacts of the baggage handlers.
We reiterate, anyone who’s been to the airport over the past 2 weeks, please self isolate if you’re feeling unwell or displaying symptoms.
We have had a further case in the Ruby Princess cluster.
South Australia now has 19 people with COVID-19 in hospital, 8 of which are in intensive care. 7 are men and one is a woman. They range in age from 52 to 77.
For the first time in history, the State is mobilising the public and private hospital system to prepare for what’s ahead of us.
All of our human and physical resources are joining together to fight the Coronavirus. This includes 1700 beds in the private sector.
The State Government has already moved decisively to bring forward the expansion of Flinders Medical Centre ED to provide additional resources to deal with the impacts of coronavirus and the winter flu season.
The State Government has also secured an additional 278 beds at ECH College Park, the old Wakefield Hospital and the Repat, as part of our decisive response to COVID-19.
The Premier said his biggest concern was people becoming complacent. My very clear message is, this easter, travel around our state is completely off. I know this is tough during school holidays, but trips just cannot proceed.
Comments from Calvary Hospital’s SA Regional Chief Executive Officer Sharon Kendall
Calvary Hospital’s SA Regional Chief Executive Officer Sharon Kendall said she reflects the Premier’s comments. She went on to say it’s important public and private sectors stand side by side. We are working urgently and collaboratively to provide the agreement that will provide certainty to patiences and other key stakeholders. We are finalising the arrangement as we speak.
We have a total of 278 new beds in reactivated hospitals, plus the addition of 1700 private sector beds, gives us a 40% increase in ICU capacity in South Australia.
More to come.
- New COVID-19 Case In South Australia FoundThe woman had been quarantining in Victoria but was given an exemption to travel into South Australia for “compelling” family reasons.
- Stage Two Brought Forward & Further Restrictions Eased In Sport, Dining, FuneralsAs a result of the consistent testing rates over the past few weeks, stage two has been once again brought forward to Monday 1 June.
- Prime Minister Reveals New ‘JobMaker’ Plan For AustraliaThe JobMaker plan comprises a series of principles, as outlined by the Prime Minster in today’s announcement.
- Seasonal Jobs Ripe For The Picking For Job SeekersWhether it is fruit-picking, grape-harvesting, vine-pruning, tree-planting or vegetable-packing, there’s a range of agricultural jobs on offer.
- Major Changes Made To Dine-In Restrictions After Mass Confusion Regarding LicencingGiven the Premier’s recent announcement, any establishment with dining capabilities will now be able to open indoor and outdoor service.