Twenty-six year old Slovakian powerhouse, Peter Sagan will start his 2017 cycling season with new team Bora-Hansgrohe at the Santos Tour Down Under.
Today’s announcement confirms that the current UCI World Road Champion, seven time Tour de France stage winner and 11 time Grand Tour stage winner will take to the start line as part of the peloton in January.
Race Director Mike Turtur said that Peter Sagan’s first WorldTour race was the Santos Tour Down Under back in 2010, so it is quite fitting and sentimental to see him return as such an accomplished athlete some years later as a champion of the sport.
“Six years ago we saw Sagan attack over the last climb on Willunga Hill finishing fifth, battling it out alongside Cadel Evans, Alejandro Valverde and Luis Leon Sanchez. The race and the fans are in store for something special next year when he tackles the climb for the second time,” said Mike Turtur.
“He has had an outstanding season to date, not just with his Tour de France campaign but with victory at the one day classics, Tour of Flanders and the Gent-Wevelgem. Not only is he a great cyclist, he is also one of the most popular cyclists on the WorldTour. We cannot wait to welcome him back to the race – he is an exciting addition.”
Peter Sagan remembers the first time he rode the Santos Tour Down Under six years ago, when making his WorldTour debut and is looking forward to returning.
“I’m excited to announce that I will race at the Santos Tour Down Under next year. This iconic Australian race brings the world’s best riders on a course that features tough climbs and fast sprints and I’m convinced its 19th edition could be the best so far,” said Peter Sagan.
“The Santos Tour Down Under will be the curtain-raiser of the 2017 season and my first race wearing the Bora-Hansgrohe colours, but it also holds a special place in my heart. I first took part in 2010 in what was my maiden WorldTour race and I still remember the excitement and anxiety on the start line of the first stage in Clare.
“Returning, after seven years, to the race that set off my professional career is a great feeling and I look forward to riding on the roads of Adelaide and South Australia.”
Fans will not only have the opportunity to see Sagan ride in South Australia in January, but they will also have the opportunity to hear him talk at the Legends’ Night Dinner on Saturday 21 January 2017, where he will be honoured. Tickets are on sale now through www.tourdownunder.com.au.
The 2017 Santos Tour Down Under will be held from Saturday 14 January until Sunday 22 January and the Santos Women’s Tour will be held from 14 – 17 January 2017.