For the first time ever, RSPCA South Australia has waived its usual $50 adoption fee for cats aged six months and over. The no-fee campaign is on now and will end June 30. The organisation has taken this unprecedented measure in response to a significant increase in cats in care this year.
RSPCA SA Head of Animal Operations Tim Charles said the end-of-financial-year adoption campaign aims to find loving homes for 250 adults cats over the next 20 days.
“Currently we have nearly 500 cats and kittens in our shelters and with winter already here, we desperately need to find at least half of them homes as soon as possible,” Mr Charles said.
“It costs RSPCA more than $1,000 to vaccinate, microchip, desex, provide veterinary care and rehome each cat – all of which is funded by community donations – but the current overload situation is so serious that we have waived the normal $50 adoption fee to try to encourage more people to give one of our cats a home.”
Mr Charles stressed that the usual adoption process would apply to ensure prospective cat owners met each animal’s specific behavioural and environmental needs.
“We have held many successful discounted, adoption promotions and the community can be assured only the cost is reduced, or in this case totally eliminated,” Mr Charles said.
“Our staff will still be going through all the usual checks that happen before any animal in our care is adopted.
“Our goal is always to find the best home for the specific animal.
“For example, a cat that prefers a quiet household is probably not well-suited to a home with young children.”
Studies have shown that there is no difference in the care provided for an animal whether adopted through a fee-waived program or for a fee.
The adoption fee for kittens (under six months) will be $99 until June 30, a significant reduction on the usual fee of $195. Every animal adopted from RSPCA SA is desexed, microchipped, vaccinated and vet-checked.
The “End of Fur-nancial Year Sale” includes discounts on pet food and supplies sold at the Lonsdale shelter, the Stepney headquarters and at RSPCA PetVille in Hillcrest.
All cats available to adopt from RSPCA South Australia can be viewed at https://www.rspcasa.org.au/adopt/cats/
End of Fur-National Year sale – begins 9am Monday June 10. Ends 5pm Sunday June 30.
• Lonsdale – RSPCA Animal Shelter – 25 Meyer Rd – open every day except Tuesday
• Stepney – RSPCA Headquarters – 16 Nelson St – open Mon to Fri
• Hillcrest – RSPCA PetVille – 345 North East Road – open 7 days
• Hendon (kittens only) – 113-115 Tapleys Hill Rd, Hendon. Ph 7087 2216
• Holden Hill – 1/578 North East Road, Holden Hill. Ph 7087 2225
• Melrose Park (kittens only) – Melrose Plaza – 9/1031 South Rd, Melrose Park. Ph 7087 2229
• Mile End (kittens only) – 122-138 Railway Tce – Homemaker Centre, Mile End. Ph 8351 8130
• Noarlunga (kittens only) – 84 Dyson Rd, Noarlunga Centre. Ph 7087 2219
• Norwood (kittens only) – 31 The Parade, Norwood. Ph 8363 3255
• Prospect (kittens only) – 3/252 Churchill Rd, Prospect. Ph 7087 2222