Father’s Day is just one month away. That might seem like plenty of time but Sunday 4 September will be here before you know it.
This year Simon & Schuster have cooked up a great Father’s Day gift with Oscar Smith’s Feed the Man Meat: 70 Mantastic BBQ Recipes. Over the next few Fridays, while our gourmet reviewer is testing some of the book’s recipes, we’ll be sharing three other samples with you just in time for your weekends!
Dust off your BBQ, scrape off the grill, and get set to taste test some mouth-watering macho meals for everyone to enjoy!
Bon Appétit, noshi jan, and bog in!
Grilled Beef Fajitas with Salsa & Guacamole
- 1 kg (2 lb 3 oz) beef skirt steak 2 red onions, halved and sliced
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), sliced 1 green capsicum (bell pepper),
- 1 yellow capsicum (bell pepper), sliced
- 10 flour tortillas
- 150 g (5½ oz) queso fresco or feta cheese, crumbled
- 125 g (4½ oz/½ cup) sour cream
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce juice of 2 limes
- tablespoon soft brown sugar 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- teaspoons ancho chilli powder 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Fresh tomato salsa
- 1 long red chili, finely chopped 250 g (9 oz) cherry tomatoes,
- roughly chopped
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves and stalks, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced juice of ½ lime
- To make the marinade, combine the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place the steaks in a dish and the onion and capsicum in a second dish. Divide the marinade between the dishes and mix to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- To make the salsa, combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste. Cover and set aside until needed.
- To make the guacamole, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mash roughly with a fork. Season to taste. Cover and set aside until needed.
- Preheat a barbecue grill and hotplate (griddle) to high and lightly grease with oil.
- Cook the steaks on the grill for 1–2 minutes, then turn. Cook for another 1–2 minutes, and turn again. Continue cooking, turning every minute or so, for 8–10 minutes in total, or until done to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Cook the capsicum and onion mix on the hotplate, turning occasionally, for about 5–8 minutes or until just cooked and slightly charred. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Cut the steaks diagonally into thin slices and transfer to the serving platter.
- Briefly toast the tortillas on one side over the hot grill and stack onto a board. Serve with the salsa, guacamole, cheese and sour cream alongside.
Feed the Man Meat: 70 Mantastic BBQ Recipes is available now through Simon and Schuster. RRP: $35