Fifty Shades of Grey’s success on the big screen has started conversations about seduction and passion across the nation.
With more women than ever looking to secure their very own Mr Grey, Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has surveyed Australian women and men on their Facebook page about the best ways to impress a perspective partner.
The study has revealed that Australian women and men are choosing partners based on personality, with two thirds of all people surveyed claiming they’d rather have a date with an interesting, funny person than a pretty face. Interestingly, money and job status rated as the least important factor with only 1% of all people surveyed claiming this would affect their dating decisions.
The study, commissioned by Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to mark the home entertainment release of Fifty Shades of Grey, was inspired by a recent statistic from the Ausralian Bureau of Statistics that 12% of all Australian’s are single and live alone. The study results will help the men of Australia emulate the undeniable attractiveness of the illusive Mr Grey from the record breaking Fifty Shades of Grey.
The surveyed people revealed that romance is not only alive and well but also very important, with good, old fashioned manners still high on the list of priorities in the dating world; gentlemanly hand holding, opening doors and pulling out chairs still proving to be key factors when impressing women. Arrogance and rudeness are the two traits that will see people going home alone.
Aussie men and their laid back personalities and good sense of humour are seen as most attractive, while British men with their melodic accents came in a close second. Women believe that sending flirty text messages to their desired partner is the most effective way to gain attention, and that biting their lip like the infamous Anastasia Steel will also get pulses racing.
Former Miss Universe Australia, Laura Dundovic said, “One of the best parts about Australian men, is their laid back personalities and good sense of humour. I like a guy who is thoughtful and polite, taking me out to dinner or having a romantic picnic – you don’t need to spend lots of money to have a good time.”
The majority of men and women surveyed agreed with Laura’s sentiments, with 80% saying that they didn’t want or need a perspective partner to spend over $100 a date. The top tips people gave to single Aussie’s were that they should be confident when attracting a suitor and that good manners were highly important.
The survey resulted in 50 ways to seduce an Australian woman, with Dundovic’s Top Ten being:
- Be confident – it’s one of the most attractive traits in a person
- Make good conversation – no girl wants an awkward silence at the dinner table
- Have good manners – all girls love having doors opened and their chairs pulled out
- Be yourself – don’t pretend to be someone you’re not, you only get found out
- Don’t talk about past relationships – we don’t want hear about your horrible ex-girlfriend who stole your favourite t-shirt
- Dress nicely – thongs are not appropriate for a restaurant
- Don’t be rude or arrogant – nobody wants to date a person who has bad manners
- Relax – a date isn’t a job interview, stay calm
- Don’t be needy – don’t text immediately after the date. The old saying “treat them mean keep them keen” is definitely still true
- Flowers will never go astray.
Fifty Shades of Grey is released on Blu-ray, DVD & Digital with UltraViolet from 21 May 21, 2015.