When one of South Australia’s most beautiful wineries, opens its doors to celebrate their other specialty – figs – it’s worth clearing your diary.
Glen Ewin Estate, which is 30 minutes from Adelaide’s CBD, is a known for its wine and its insanely beautiful grounds, as well as producing bumper crops of the coveted fig.
Their fig orchards comprise of almost 12,000 trees of 5 main varieties: Archipal, Deanna, Spanish Desert, Brown Turkey and Black Genoa. In the 25 years that they’ve been at Glen Ewin, they have never sprayed the figs with any chemicals and employ organic management practices wherever they can. In short, it means the figs are absolutely delicious, and good for you.
While you can roll up at Glen Ewin during fig season (which is short by sweet, commencing in mid-Feb and ending in March) to pick your own figs, there’s an annual event held which you need to know about.
Head along to Glen Ewin on March 31st, to celebrate the fig harvest with a picnic in the orchard with local produce hampers, a full bar, live music and of course all things figgy!
It runs from 11am to 5pm, and promises a relaxing day out in the orchard, where you can kick back and enjoy live music, fig picking, fig cocktails, food stalls and more.
Bring your own picnic rug, but leave the catering to the friendly folks at Glen Ewin. As they are a licensed venue, no external food or beverage is permitted into the Estate.
$85 standard ticket includes:
– entry for 2 adults into the event
– 1 x food hamper to feed 2 adults
– Pick Your Own Fig entry and 1/2 kg PYO figs included
$15 child ticket includes:
– entry for 1 child (aged 2 – 12 years) into the event
– 1 x food hamper to feed 1 child
– Kids under 2 admitted free.
- Whistler Wines Hosting Long Lunch In Their Wine Barrel Hall
- The Award-Winning Gin Distilled Right In The Adelaide CBD
- New Restaurant: 8020BK Thai Fusion Opens In City Laneway
- Masterchef Winner Sashi Will Cook You Dessert At This Tasting Australia Dinner
- Rescued Dogs Wanted To Feature In Fundraising Coffee Table Book