Better protections for landlords and private tenants, and a suite of measures to protect South Australian jobs are among the initiatives that form part of the Government’s legislative response to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Attorney-General, Vickie Chapman, said the measures would be debated when Parliament resumes on Tuesday.
“We have a strong plan to stop the spread of COVID-19 and minimise the impact on our State,” Attorney-General Chapman said.
“A legislative response that supports South Australians, protects local jobs and enact measures that keep our state running is an integral part of that.
“This comprehensive package strengthens the powers available to the State Coordinator, taking a stronger approach to enforcing detention orders involving possible cases of COVID-19.”
Measures in the Bill include:
- Allowing for the suspension of the requirement for major Government infrastructure projects to wait for a Public Works Committee report, helping support local jobs by minimising delays in starting major works
- Ensuring JobKeeper payments are exempt from payroll tax
- Better protection of both commercial and private residential tenants by measures such asrestricting evictions in cases of extreme financial hardship
- Ensuring authorised officers can use reasonable force to detain people under orders made bythe Chief Public Medical Officer or directions made by the State Coordinator
- Allow recycling depots to pay container deposits via EFTPOS as well as in cash.
“The Bill also ensures Government officials acting under the direction of the Emergency Management Act are protected from liability, ensuring they can go about their duties freely – an especially important time as we work to contain the spread of COVID-19,” Attorney-General Chapman said.
“This will not be our only legislative response, but it is an important step forward for the work that will be done over the coming weeks and months to protect the community, support local jobs and combat the spread of this virus.”
More to come.
- MPC Film and tigers, camels, exotic animals: From North Terrace to Joe Vs Carole with loveAdelaide-based digital computer generated image superstar MPC Film is the lead contractor on the production of the latest series of ‘Joe Vs Carole’. We all remember THAT show, don’t we?
- Light Creatures comes to Adelaide Zoo for Illuminate AdelaideLight Creatures at Adelaide Zoo opens tonight for the 2022 season as part of Illuminate Adelaide, featuring the zoo’s newest Light Creature Cahaya.
- Kick start your weekend with bottomless burgers and beers at SkyCityEvery Friday the iconic District at SkyCity is dishing up unlimted burgers and sandos with Pirate Life beers so you can eat until you pop.
- FIRST LOOK: A sneak peek into Light Cycles at Adelaide Botanic GardensAn immersive journey of light and sound through the Adelaide Botanic Gardens, this sell-out event has returned for Illuminate Adelaide 2022.
- NOW OPEN! Mumpling Dumpling & Boba is bringing you the flavour combos of your dreamsUnley Shopping Centre is now home to the cheesburger dumplings and biscoff boba with the opening of Mumpling Dumpling and Boba!