With summer right around the corner, it’s a great time to shake off those winter blues and get active, whether that’s walking to work, hiking Mount Lofty, or having a weekend surf down the beach.
Now in its 19th year, Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day on Friday 6 October 2017, is an annual event which helps employers and employees to build regular walking into their daily routine for a healthier workplace and a healthier you.
Not only is walking regularly quite simple, it’s also the most practical way of increasing your daily exercise.
To help get you moving, here are Diabetes Australia’s top ten walking tips for busy people:
1. Walk some or if you can, walk all the way to work.
2. Get off the bus, train, or tram a few stops earlier.
3. Leave the car at least 1km away from work and walk the rest of the way.
4. Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier to fit in a walk to work.
5. Organise a walk at lunchtime with colleagues.
6. Walk all or part of the way to meetings rather than driving or catching taxis
7. Schedule a “walking meeting” (a Walking Workshop) instead of sitting down. Walk and talk and you’ll get double the benefit.
8. Ensure you get up from your desk at least once an hour and walk around the office.
9. Wherever possible, use the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator
10. Host a healthy breakfast to reward those who participate.
Did you know:
1. One Australian develops type 2 diabetes every 8 minutes.
2. 12 Australians develop diabetes every hour.
3. 280 Australians develop diabetes every day.
4. Regular walking can lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and help manage diabetes for people already living with the chronic condition
5. Two million Australians are currently at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes
6. Diabetes shares risk factors with cancer, heart disease, stroke and kidney disease
7. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented in up to 58% of cases in the high risk population, through lifestyle changes such as healthy eating, regular physical activity, and weight reduction.
8. You can take the test to assess your risk of developing type 2 diabetes here.
For more information about Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day and how to fundraise for Diabtees Australia visit their website here.
Diabetes Australia Walk to Work Day
When: Friday 6 October