South Australian pooches have been pounding the pavement in preparation for RSPCA’s Million Paws Walk, having already walked over 60 million paws ahead of this weekend’s event!
Around 5,000 people and their dogs are expected to attend six walks taking place across South Australia on Sunday May 21st, walking together to fight animal cruelty.
And afterwards? There’s a whole bunch of paw-seome activities to do with your dogs at the Bonython Park event. Like why not try yoga with your dog at ‘DOGA’ (dog yoga)?! Seriously. It’s a thing this year.
Once you’ve completed the walk – and most likely doga – you can also check out:
- A dozen different food trucks and coffee vans
- Exhibitors including Hills Pet Nutrition, Network 10 and lots of dog accessory vendors
- Main stage entertainment including musicians, competitions, raffles and prizes
- Force-free dog training demonstrations
- Free vet checks
- Aussie Pooch Dog Wash
- Doggy competitions such as ‘best trick’ and ‘musical chairs’
- Dog agility and Flyball demonstrations to watch and try out with your dog
- Kids’ corner including jumping castle, face painting, nail art and mini golf
- RSPCA Op shop, RSPCA retail and merchandise store, RSPCA campaigns booth
- RSPCA Op Shop doggy and human fashion shows
For the first year RSPCA has issued a challenge to participants to walk a million paws before the event, recording their steps (aka their dogs “paws”) on their fundraising page to raise money for animals in need.
So far over $150,000 has been raised towards the $250,000 target, to help RSPCA South Australia care for 10,000 abandoned, abused, sick, lost, injured, stray or surrendered animals each year.
Josie Sullivan, Million Paws Walk event organiser, says the walk on May 21st is a great celebration of everyone’s fundraising achievements, and it’s not too late to register and jump on board.
“It’s incredible – and very inspiring – to see around 4,000 people and their dogs walking together at Bonython Park against animal cruelty. It’s a sea of beautiful dogs of all shapes and sizes – a sight to behold!” she said.
“It’s never too late to join the challenge ahead of the event, and start fundraising before coming along to enjoy the day – every dollar counts.
“People who fundraise over $500 by this Friday will receive an exclusive invite to our VIP tent. VIPs and their dogs will receive a complimentary free-range egg breakfast cooked by celebrity chef Simon Bryant, a glass of bubbles and lots of cool freebies like pampering massages and the opportunity to get a caricature drawn of you and your pooch,” Ms Sullivan added.
When: Sunday May 21st
Time: Gates and on-the-day registration open 8:00am, walk commences 10:00am
Locations: Adelaide – Bonython Park, and regional areas – Berri, Wallaroo, Port Augusta, Victor Harbor and Murray Bridge
Register for the event and sign up for the Million Paws Walk Challenge at www.millionpawswalk.com.au/sa