Everyone who’s watched or read a period romance has probably wanted to pretend to live like the aristocracy at least once.
Noble titles are few and far between in Australia, but you can still put on airs if you stay up at the majestic Martinsell Manor in the Pewsey Vale wine region.
Martinsell Manor, a historical, stately, stone building is set on 77 acres in beautiful surroundings within the picturesque Barossa region.
A magnificent piece of South Australian history, this turn of the century home has played host to some prominent Australian and international aristocrats, politicians and business people.
The grand rooms and opulent architecture give glimpses of a bygone era.
The private accommodation on the ground floor is rented as a whole area, which includes your pwn spacious lounge and dining area. A getaway for yourself, your partner, friends or family.
The impressive two guest suites (one King and one Queen) have recently been renovated by Adelaide’s Ashburton Design, which seamlessly blend the old world charm with his colours and furnishings, to make a beautiful and elegant environment.
Enjoy high ceilings, quality Georgian and Chippendale furniture, and Persian carpets on polished floorboards.
Spend your day strolling around the gardens under a lace parasol, or duel with flintlock pistols for the affection of your beloved.
There’s even a pool on the greens for a damp Colin Firth to tumble into.
You’ll have to supply your own butler, though.
MORE SA WEEKEND ESCAPES
- Fourth round of Great State Vouchers announcedAnother round of Great State Vouchers targeted to accommodation will keep the momentum of South Australia’s record-breaking occupancy rates going into the colder months.
- Getaway: Underground B&B in Cooper PedyThere’s something that seems incredibly fun about staying underground, and we’ve an underground B+B that looks brilliant.
- The Great State Experiences Voucher ballot is now openThe Great State Experiences Voucher ballot is now open. Enter the ballot for your chance to secure a $50, $100 or $200 voucher.
- Getaway: The Sky House in Kangaroo Island is the epitome of invitingThe Sky House is a rammed-earth villa located on the north side of KI with sweeping views of the coastline as far as the eye can see.
- Getaway: Live out your fairytale fantasy in this beautiful manorWith picturesque grounds, grand interiors and luxury accommodation, Yatahlia Manor is perfect for a weekend away.
- Getaway: Jukebox dreams are real at Port Willunga stayWe’ve found the perfect spot for beach dwellers and old school music fanatics alike in this quaint three-bedroom beach stay a stone’s throw from the shore.
- Mysterious creature appears at Lake Bumbunga in LochielThe sculpture was recently installed and is part of a redevelopment of the Pink Lake, an hour and a half drive, or 125kms north, of Adelaide.
- Ramsgate Hotel reveals new upstairs accommodationThe lodging includes plush new bedding, a flat-screen TV, and sleek bathrooms above the Ramsgate’s popular restaurant and bar.
- Getaway: The Writer’s Studio in Barossa is the perfect escapeWrite your next piece, finish a project or spend the weekend in your zen state of mind in this hidden oasis.
- Getaway: Breathtaking Ecopia Villa is an eco retreat on Kangaroo IslandThe luxurious rammed earth villa is graced by sweeping panoramic views of the natural surroundings and carefully sited to provide guests with an intimate, private experience.