Hindley Street West is going to look a whole lot better by the middle of this year, as the next stage of the project to upgrade footpaths etc. is complete.
After local stakeholders were this week handed an information pack on the proposed options for the remaining stages of the Hindley Street West footpaths upgrade, their feedback will see the Council endorsed initiative into its final stages.
Features of the ‘Draft Detailed Design include new street lights, more street trees and garden beds, plus a reduction in road width by 3m to allow for wider traffic lanes (one in each direction).
Other features listed include:
· existing bitumen road surface to remain
· left turn lane on to Morphett Street retained
· significantly widened footpaths as a result of narrowing the roadway
· 3x loading and parking spaces on southern side of the street
· loading and coach bus zone in front of Rockford Hotel
The above is set to be reviewed by Council at its meeting to be held this evening and at this point in time construction is yet to be finalised.
Construction will take place in line with feedback from traders and it is likely also, that construction will occur on one side of the street and then the other, in order to minimise disruption to traders and the street.