Get set for a white out. Le Dîner en Blanc is coming to Adelaide for the third consecutive year. On Saturday 5 December 2015, the annual secret affair promises another unforgettable evening of elegance, beauty and magic, as it takes over an undisclosed public space whose location is only revealed minutes prior to the commencement of the event. Very oh la la.
Over 900 foodies, fashion and cultural enthusiasts have attended the event in the past and over 1200 are expected this year.
This epicurean phenomenon filled the main lawns at The Adelaide Zoo in 2013, then took over Victoria square on a balmy November evening last year, so which iconic space will the 2015 edition of Dîner en Blanc take place this year??? That’s what everyone around town wants to know!
Bystanders will witness groups of guests all dressed in white gathering at specific rallying points all across the city. Guided by Dîner en Blanc volunteers, these groups will then converge on one of the city’s most beautiful settings, travelling by chartered coaches. Every guest brings their own gourmet feast, table, chairs and table setting. Over the course of the evening, they will eat and celebrate amid music, entertainment and dancing.
The evening is filled with visually breathtaking moments including the waving of a cloth napkin to mark the beginning of the dinner and the lighting of sparklers to let guests know they are now free to mingle and dance. When, at the end of the evening the trumpet sounds, guests pack up all of their belongings, pick up all their litter and head back into the night, leaving behind no sign of their elegant revelry.
To maintain the uniqueness of Le Dîner en Blanc as well as staying true to tradition, guests must observe certain requirements and follow a few key rules:
• Registration to participate happens in three stages: Phase 1 is for members who attended the previous
year (Opens Oct 27); Phase 2 is for new members who are referred by Phase I attendees (Opens Nov 3);
Phase 3 is for people who signed up on the waiting list via the official website (Opens Nov 5):
• Once confirmed, each guest’s participation becomes mandatory, regardless of weather conditions. This is a rain or shine event.
• Dress code: elegant and white only. Originality is encouraged as long as it is stylish and tasteful.
• Table setting: all white!
• To ensure that the location secret is kept undisclosed until last minute, guests meet at assigned
departure location and are escorted by a Dîner en Blanc volunteer.
• In order to leave the event location as clean as when they arrived, guests are required to leave with all
their belongings, leftovers and litter.
Guests must bring
• A table, two white chairs, white tablecloth.
• A picnic basket comprising fine food and proper stemware and white dinnerware.
o A catered picnic basket option, which can be picked up on site, will be available for those who do not wish to pack their own. Guests wishing to do so must reserve online through Dîner en Blanc website during the initial ticket registration.
• Pre-order any wine to be consumed on the night. Beer and hard liquor are prohibited.
￼￼￼For full details on the event’s rules and regulations, please visit the official website.