South Australia’s screen production boom just keeps getting bigger, with Stan Original Series The Tourist set to start shooting in the state in early 2021 starring Jamie Dornan (A Private War, The Fall, Wild Mountain Thyme).
Stan, along with Bafta-nominated and Emmy and Golden Globe-winning production company Two Brothers Pictures (Baptiste, The Missing, Fleabag) headed up by acclaimed writers Harry and Jack Williams, today announced Dornan as the lead in the six-part thriller, which charts one man’s search for his identity. HBO Max has also been confirmed as the US partner, after the series was first announced by Stan and BBC ONE last year.
Joining Dornan in the star-studded cast are Danielle Macdonald (Stan Original Film I Am Woman, Unbelievable), Shalom Brune-Franklin (Line of Duty, Roadkill) and Hugo Weaving (The Lord of The Rings, Patrick Melrose).
Minister for Innovation and Skills David Pisoni said the mystery-packed, international thriller is the biggest television production ever to be made in South Australia and will create over 120 jobs for local cast and crew, and inject millions into the economy.
“As the biggest television production ever to be made in this state The Tourist is a major coup for South Australia, creating over 120 jobs for local cast and crew, and injecting an estimated $12.1 million into our local economy,” Minister Pisoni said.
“The production will also create jobs and economic benefit outside the screen sector, engaging the services of around 75 businesses across regional South Australia in a broad range of sectors, including construction, transport, accommodation, hospitality and more.
“The series is also the first production to secure the Federal Government’s Location Incentive to locate to the state, further cementing South Australia’s international reputation as a world class filming and production destination.”
CEO of the South Australian Film Corporation, Kate Croser, said today’s casting announcement adds further excitement to what is already a highly anticipated series, which was secured for South Australia by local producer Lisa Scott of Highview Productions (Stan Original Film A Sunburnt Christmas, The Hunting).
“The Tourist is yet another feather in the cap of acclaimed South Australian producer Lisa Scott of Highview Productions, coming hot on the heels of the runaway success of the recent South Australian shot Stan Original Film A Sunburnt Christmas, which was produced by Every Cloud Productions in association with Highview,” Ms Croser said.
“We are thrilled Lisa has once again partnered with Stan, and the Emmy-award winning producers of Fleabag, to bring this major new series to South Australia, which is set to be a stellar showcase of South Australian talent and locations for audiences around the world.”
Jamie Dornan said: “The Tourist are some of the most exciting scripts I’ve ever read. I can’t wait to go to Australia with such a talented group of people.”
Nick Forward, Stan’s Chief Content Officer said: “Set in Australia’s iconic outback, The Tourist is an incredible cat and mouse story. We’re thrilled to have Jamie Dornan as the lead in this original series, along with a strong local cast including Danielle Macdonald, Shalom Brune-Franklin and Hugo Weaving. Working with world class partners like BBC One, HBO Max and Two Brothers Pictures, along with local partners South Australian Film Corporation (SAFC) and Highview Productions, The Tourist is a remarkable original series – and our biggest one yet. We can’t wait to bring this thrilling six-part series to Stan.”
Hugo Weaving said: “I’m very excited to be slipping into the skin of one of the fabulously idiosyncratic characters who people the desert landscape of The Tourist. The scripts are wonderful. Dark and shocking, surprising and hilarious and always very human. This is a tonally uniquely project and should be an unforgettable ride and shoot for us all.”
- Ruby Red Flamingo & Coccobello crew opening Spaghetti Island on GougerGouger Street’s Spaghetti Island leans into the pedigree of restaurant siblings Ruby Red Flamingo, L’Italy, and Spaghetti Crab.
- Go back to basics at Hanky Panky, Glenelg’s newest dive barFrom the owners of Fourth comes a stripped-down joint serving up classic drinks and toasties on Jetty Road.
- Gang Gang is slinging burgers in the CBD for Adelaide’s festival seasonWe’re delighted to report the Gang Gang food truck has parked itself in Rundle Mall for the duration of Adelaide’s festival season.
- Paolo Sebastian announces shoe line at showcase of new collectionThe SA fashion house announced its new shoe line alongside the showcase of the 2020-21 autumn / winter Heirloom collection during a beautiful event at Mercedes-Benz Unley.
- Dart wars and “Art-Chery” activities will make Adelaide Fringe fun for the kidsEnjoy Nerf wars and bow-and-arrow painting at these Gluttony side shows by FunTime Kids Parties.