Images: Robern Menz.
Violet Crumble has commissioned a new study, revealing lamingtons as Australia’s all-time favourite chocolate.
A whopping 84% of Aussies rated the humble dessert as the #1 most iconic Aussie chocolate dessert of all time, with chocolate pavlova (68%), chocolate crackles (63%) and chocolate brownies (62%) making honourable mentions in the top 10 list.
While traditional lamington recipes include sponge, cream, jam and a sprinkle of coconut, the team at South Aussie-made Violet Crumble have combined two epic chocolate desserts to create a Violet Crumble Lamington (yes, really).
Phil Sims, CEO of Robern Menz, was eager for fans of both chocolate desserts to try the new hybrid creation.
“Combining two nostalgic favourites to create a Violet Crumble Lamington was a blast for our team! Pairing these chocolate dessert icons is the perfect way to celebrate World Chocolate Day in a truly Australian way” he says.
To create your own Violet Crumble Lamingtons read on…
200-250g of Australia’s Violet Crumble
1 square 20cm x 20cm vanilla sponge cake
3.5 cups of icing sugar (sifted)
1/4 cup of cocoa
150ml boiling water
1.5 tablespoons of butter (or coconut oil)
- Shatter the Violet Crumble into pieces, leaving some larger chunks. Divide into 2 bowls, leaving some spare to use as a garnish before serving.
- Cut the sponge cake into 16 square pieces
- Mix the icing sugar, cocoa, boiling water and melted butter in a bowl
- Dip a cake into the chocolate mixture, coating evenly on all sides and allowing the chocolate mix to soak in slightly
- Lift out gently using 2 forks, allowing excess icing to drip off. Transfer to one of the bowls containing the Violet Crumble shatter. Coat on all sides and transfer to a lined tray to set.
- Repeat with remaining squares. When you have coated 1/2 of the squares start using the second bowl of Violet Crumble shatter. The shatter will start to stick together with the icing which has fallen off into the sponge. Dividing the shatter into 2 bowls means that there’s enough crumb to coat all your squares.
- Sprinkle with extra Violet Crumble and enjoy!