COVID-19

Marshall confirms lockdown set to end midnight Tuesday, with restrictions

South Australia is set to exit the seven day lockdown on track, with restrictions in place for a further week.

Premier Steven Marshall, Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier and Police Commissioner Grant Stevens addressed the South Australian public today on what marks the states sixth official day of lockdown.

The good news overnight, as stated this morning, is that there has been no serious escalation in regards to the Modbury cluster, with just on new case linked, and one from overseas. The new case, an 87 year old man, has been quarantining since his exposure at the Tenafeate Creek Wines, however he had been in the queue for testing for some time so as a cautionary measure the bathroom at the testing site has now been deemed an exposure location. The international returned traveller is a historical case in a man in his 50s, with what Nicola Spurrier said was nothing to worry about.

Marshall announced we are still on track to lift lockdown at midnight tomorrow night on the advice of the restriction committee, so come Wednesday morning SA will be out of their hard lockdown status.

The lift of the lockdown in SA does not extend to those who are currently in quarantine, and they must continue to follow their directed advice from health authorities.

A further week of restrictions will be in place after lockdown which include:

  • Density requirement of 1 person per 4 square metres for all businesses
  • Food and beverage consumption seated only (outdoor and indoor)
  • Sheesha, dancing, singing restrictions to continue
  • Masks in high risk settings, personal care, passenger transport services and healthcare, theatres
  • Masks are strongly encouraged everywhere
  • Household and private gatherings maximum 10 people including members of household
  • Weddings and funerals maximum 50 people
  • Gyms may reopen with density of 1 person per 8 square metres in first instance
  • Schooling will resume

When asked on whether people should continue working from home Marshall noted that we are not yet out of the woods, and the advice is to continue working from home if it is a suitable option for you, so we can continue to limit our mobility in the community.

“We do have a situation around the country which means we’re on high alert even after the lockdown is lifted,” Marshall says.

“You can never be 100% certain but what i know is we’ve looked at chasing down every single transmission chain, with 79 exposure sites, a large number of people we are monitoring and a huge number of people who are in directed quarantine whether at home or in medi-hotels, to those people you have our grateful thanks.”

Yesterday saw 17,260 tests returned in what Marshall explained as a top 10 performing day for test results, off the back of three days in excess of 20,000 returned tests.

On this, Marshall said that the Victoria Park testing site will take test bookings from Thursday onwards this week, and also said 800,000 vaccinations have been administered in the state.

Nicola Spurrier said that in a month, authorities will look at opening up vaccine eligibility to all ages in South Australia.

When asked if South Australia will send NSW vaccine supplies, Premier Marshall said following Friday’s National Cabinet discussion “We can’t possibly be sending out vaccines to another state.”

Business payments and individuals payments have seen a large number of registrations with more information to come in following days from authorities, and disaster relief payments available for registration from Wednesday this week.

This comes during the state’s seven-day lockdown, and after the announcement on Sunday, July 26, when Marshall announced one new case, making a total of 19 in the state outside of medi-hotels. It also follows last week’s announcement of a $100 million COVID relief package and increasing list of exposure sites.

Nicola Spurrier has said that if you have received an SMS from health authorities, please take the advice given and don’t second guess that it may have been sent to the wrong person.

Due to SA’s current COVID situation, thousands are currently quarantining and lining up to get tested. For our updated list of exposure sites, visit here.

All South Australians who have symptoms of COVID-19 should get tested on the day symptoms appear.

Symptoms include:

– Fever or chills (in the absence of an alternative illness that explains these symptoms)

– An acute respiratory infection e.g. cough, sore throat, runny nose, or shortness of breath

– Loss of smell or alteration in the sense of taste

– Diarrhoea and vomiting

For more information: SA COVID-19 Information Line 1800 253 787; sahealth.sa.gov.au/COVID2019.

[adrotate banner="159"]
To Top