McLaren Vale’s 2020 Best Wine in Show and prestigious ‘Bushing Monarch’ title was awarded today, Friday 30 October at a trophy presentation live-streamed from Kay Brothers Winery to five satellite Bushing Lunch venues across the region.
From more than 760 exhibits, the 2019 Alpha Crucis Grenache was the highest scoring wine of the 2020 McLaren Vale Wine Show as judged by an impressive panel of South Australian judges including Fiona Donald (Seppeltsfield Wines), Kate Laurie (Deviation Road),Tim Dolan (Peter Lehmann Wine) and local judging talent from across McLaren Vale.
Given the complications of COVID-19 and the changed events environment, McLaren Vale Grape Wine & Tourism Association could not host the traditional 600-person Bushing Luncheon and instead encouraged the region’s renowned restaurants to host their own satellite lunches to live stream the trophy presentation.
2020 Chair of Judges, David LeMire MW highlighted the region’s diverse winemaking talents in respecting traditional styles whilst challenging the status quo.
“The McLaren Vale Wine Show was a pleasure to judge. The region is strong on diverse styles and varieties, and few regions are as effective in both respecting traditional styles, and also adapting to new challenges and opportunities,” said Mr LeMire.
“Shiraz and Cabernet were as strong as ever, the resurgence of Grenache continues, whites from Fiano and emerging red varieties are flourishing, and rosé is impressive. I think we all felt grateful that the show could go ahead, as it is a sign of normality and an opportunity to come together as a wine community. We had a terrific line up of judges, led by the Panel Chairs Fi Donald, Kate Laurie, and Tim Dolan.”
McLaren Vale Grape Wine & Tourism Association General Manager, Jennifer Lynch is thrilled the Best Wine in Show celebrates the region’s most notable variety.
“McLaren Vale Grenache has steadily gained a reputation for wines that are focused, fresh and respectful to site, it’s exciting the 2020 Bushing title has been awarded to a variety synonymous with our region.” said Ms Lynch.
“Congratulations to Chalk Hill Wines and winemaker Renee – after opening their new tasting room in early 2020 – this title is a thrilling way to cap off a huge year of exciting developments and success.”
McLaren Vale Wine Show 2020 – Trophies:
- Best Mediterranean White Wine – Serafino 2020 Bellissimo Fiano
- Best One Year Old Grenache – Chalk Hill Wines 2019 Alpha Crucis Old Vine Grenache
- Best One Year Old or Younger Shiraz – Shingleback 2019 Davey Estate Shiraz
- Best McLaren Vale Rosé – Mazi 2020 Grenache Rosé
- Best McLaren Vale White Wine – Serafino 2020 Bellissimo Fiano
- Best Two Year Old Shiraz – Shingleback 2018 The Gate Shiraz
- Best Two Year Old Grenache – Hedonist 2018 Grenache
- Best Grenache Predominant Blend – Bondar Wines 2019 Junto Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre
- Best Shiraz Predominant Blend – Shottesbrooke 2019 Engine Room Shiraz Tempranillo
- Best Bordeaux Varietals and Blends – Serafino 2018 BDX Cabernet Sauvignon Cabernet Franc Carmenere Merlot
- Best ‘Classic Australian’ Blend – Shingleback 2018 The Gate Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz
- Best Wine Label of Show – Silent Noise Wines 2020 FO Shiraz
- Best Mediterranean Variety – Mitolo 2019 Cinquecento Sangiovese
- Best Shiraz Three Years or Older – Shingleback 2017 Davey Estate Shiraz
- Most Successful Exhibitor – Shingleback
- Best Small Producer – Bondar Wines
- Best Single Vineyard Wine Any Style (other than Shiraz) – Serafino 2020 Bellissimo Fiano
- Best Single Vineyard Viticulturist – Paul Mathews
- Best Single Vineyard Shiraz – Shingleback 2019 Davey Estate Shiraz
- Best Grenache – Chalk Hill Wines 2019 Alpha Crucis Old Vine Grenache
- Best Shiraz – Shingleback 2019 Davey Estate Shiraz
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon – Serafino 2018 Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon
- Best Museum Wine – Wolf Blass Wines 2016 Grey Label Shiraz
- Best Icon Wine – Wirra Wirra The Angelus Cabernet Sauvignon 2017, 2013, 2010
- Wine Storyteller’s Trophy – Alpha Box and Dice 2018 Dead Winemakers Society Muscat
- Chairperson’s Trophy – Paxton 2019 Grenache
- Bushing Monarch – Chalk Hill Wines 2019 Alpha Crucis Old Vine Grenache