The results found that:
- 54% of women have turned down a man on race day due to cringe worthy fashion items
- 93% of women said they would not consider dating a very attractive man wearing a poor-taste fashion item
- According to women, 50% of men commit fashion crimes on race day
When asked what constitutes as a poor-taste fashion item, results were unanimous: Novelty cufflinks, novelty sunglasses, cheap trilby hats, white leather shoes and coloured suits are the ultimate put-offs. In fact, more women said they would be receptive to an ugly well-dressed man than an attractive man wearing any of the aforementioned items.
They aren’t all equally as repulsive though –here they are in order:
The 5 fashion items ruining men’s chances on race day:
1st place: The coloured suit (36% of votes)
2nd place: White leather shoes (32% of votes)
3rd place: Novelty sunglasses (25% of votes)
4th place: The cheap trilby hat (4%)
5th place: Novelty cufflinks (3%)
Gambling is not sexy: men should quit while they’re ahead.
Aside from fashion crimes, there are other things that men will do well to avoid on race day, namely heavy gambling. Women revealed that if a man wins big on a bet, the most attractive thing for him to do would be to pocket the money and stop betting for the day (62% of the votes), or to spend the money on celebrations with his friends (31% of the votes). Only 7% of voters said that continuing to place bets with the winnings would be an attractive scenario.
While we’re talking about fashion crimes, guys aren’t the only perpetrators. Here’s our top 5 things for ladies to avoid on race day:
1. Too much skin. Mini skirts, hot pants, excessive cleavage, or any of these combined is a bad look.
2. Overkill with fake tan. Spring just started. You’re not expected to be a bronzed goddess just yet. Keep it classy ladies.
3. No shoes. If you can’t wear them all day, don’t leave the house in them or at least take ballet flats to change in to. Women without shoes is just awful.
4. Too much alcohol. The races is always a great reason to have some drinks with your friends, but keep it tidy ladies. Passing out or slurring your words isn’t a great look.
5. A total lack of head wear. This is the races ladies. Grab a hat, fascinator, or even a flower or feature headband. It’s part of the dress code and completes your look.
About the survey: The top 100 Melbourne Cup enthusiasts in the EliteSingles’ member database were surveyed about their opinion of men at the Melbourne Cup