All images by Meghan Coles
Summer is finally here, and with this glorious season comes cocktail parties, garden get-togethers, and Christmas lunches galore.
Thankfully, Never Never Distilling Co. has the perfect aperitif to take all of your summer gatherings and your summer cocktails to the next level.
The traditional fruit cup has long been a hero of all summer celebrations and this South Australian gin distillery has created their very own alcoholic version.
Never Never’s Fancy Fruit Cup is a gin-based drink inspired by iconic English summer traditions. The ‘summer in a glass’ drink will transport you across the sea to serve up enticing Polo, Wimbledon, Ashes, and barmy garden party vibes, whilst also being a local SA product.
The mouth-watering drink is packed full of fresh fruity flavours, making it the perfect pairing alongside a classic Aussie glazed ham, BBQ prawns and the always highly-anticipated Christmas pudding.
With scent notes of zesty orange citrus and fragrant warm spice, mixed with flavourful hints of juniper and earthy seasoning, the heavenly gin is incredibly exciting for our Summer cocktail loving hearts.
An incredibly versatile drink, the Fancy Fruit Cup can be mixed every which way for a delicious line-up of summery cocktail creations. Top with lemonade and ginger ale for drinks before the cricket, or build it up in a bowl with fresh oranges and strawberries for the perfect garden party punch.
Whilst we’re keen to get our creative juices flowing with cocktail combos, Never Never Distilling Co. have also leant a helping hand and created some recipes of their own for you to check out below.
SPICED ORANGE FRUIT CUP
- 45ml Fancy Fruit Cup
- 90ml Fever Tree Spiced Orange Ginger Ale
- Mint sprig, orange and rockmelon
Add mint to the bottom of a wine glass, then add Fancy Fruit Cup and ice. Add Ginger Ale. Garnish with mint crown, orange wedge and rockmelon slices in the shape of the opera house.
- 45ml Fancy Fruit Cup
- 90ml Fever Tree Lemonade
- Mint sprig and leaves
- Torn raspberries
Add torn raspberries and mint to the bottom of a wine glass. Add Fancy Fruit Cup and add ice. Add lemonade. Garnish with mint crown and whole raspberries.
FANCY FRUIT PUNCH BOWL
- 500ml Fancy Fruit Cup
- 500ml Lemonade
- 500ml Ginger Ale
- Mint sprigs and leaves
- Orange wedges, sliced strawberries, cucumber strips
Add Fancy Fruit Cup. Add lemonade and ginger ale. Add sliced fruit to the bowl. Add ice and stir. Garnish the surface with more orange wheels and mint leaves. Serve with garnished glassware.
Of course, the Never Never Fancy Fruit Cup has far grander applications than just satisfying a Summer thirst.
The classic glazed ham is the Australian version of the Christmas turkey and nearly everyone has their own recipe.
The Spiced Orange Cup cocktail works wonderfully not only as a tasty summer sipper but also as the base for a wonderful Christmas glaze for a glazed ham. Garnish with navel and blood orange wheels for a summer show-stopper.
Fancy Fruit Cup Christmas Ham
- Christmas ham (pealed and scored)
- 1 blood orange, thinly sliced
- 1 navel orange, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups Never Never Fancy Fruit Cup
- 400ml Fever Tree Spiced Orange Ginger Ale
- 1⁄2 Cup Blood Orange marmalade
- 150ml Orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 2 Tsp fresh juniper berries
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 Tsp Maple syrup
- 2 Tsp Dijon mustard
NOTES: Makes enough glaze for approx. 10kg Christmas ham
- Add all ingredients into a heavy based saucepan, stirring until combined. Place onto medium high heat & gently bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, place a baking rack into a large, deep, heavy-based baking pan before filling with 4 cups of water & placing into oven. Turn oven on & preheat to 200 deg C.
- Once all the glaze ingredients have been brought to the boil, slightly turn heat down, allowing to gently simmer whilst occasionally stirring until reduced & a thick glaze consistency has developed (approx. 1.5h). Take off the heat.
- Once reduced & liquid has developed into a sticky viscous consistency, begin basting the ham with a basting brush, working from the very top down, ensuring ham is evenly covered. Repeat this process.
- Begin arranging both orange varieties over ham in a diagonal manner, ensuring each slice aligns to the next (they will shrink slightly). Use toothpicks to secure any orange slices in place which may require it.
- Baste entire ham & orange slices ensuring you get between all the crevices.
- Remove baking pan from oven, placing ham onto rack (ensuring bottom of ham is resting above water level) before putting into the oven & baking for 20min.
- Remove from oven, repeating the basting processes before returning ham to oven & baking for another 20 min.
- Repeat this process every 20min for approx. another 1h or until a rich, deep caramel colour has been achieved.
- Allow to cool and then carve.
Enjoy with a chilled classic Fancy Fruit Cup or Spiced Orange Cup.
For more Fancy Fruit Cup cocktail inspo, visit the Never Never Distilling Co. website here.
You can find Never Never on Facebook here.