I love brownies, and I love beetroot, but I’ve never thought to put them together until now!
Thanks to this recipe from the Adelaide Farmers Market, we can now combine a vegetable with our guilty pleasure dessert to make ourselves feel more healthy.
The brownies of course include chocolate, and they also include the surprise ingredients of beetroot, walnuts, and orange zest. While it sounds like a perplexing combo, if the recipe is from the legends at the farmers market, it’s sure to be amazing & we can’t wait to try!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
250g unsalted butter, diced
180g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
250g rapadura sugar or light brown sugar
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (150g) wholemeal plain flour, sifted
¼ cup (25g) cocoa, sifted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease and line a 20cm x 20cm square brownie tin with baking paper.
2. Place beetroot in small saucepan covered in water, over a medium-high heat. Bring to boil and cook until tender.
3. Drain, allow to cool, before removing skin and cutting into chunks. Place beetroot chunks in a food processor and puree until smooth.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, chocolate, zest and sugar together over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until mixture is melted and smooth.
5. Add pureed beetroot, eggs, flour, cocoa, cinnamon, ginger and walnuts, stirring until combined.
6. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out of centre with moist crumbs.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.