Tradition has it that when bread falls off a woman’s fork and into the pot, she must kiss her neighbour…but if a man drops anything into the pot, he has to buy a round of drinks for the table.
Sounds like a lot of fun…and the tradition is alive and well in the Adelaide Hills, with the award-winning Udder Delights Cheese Cellar bringing the quintessential Swiss dish back to its vibrant and enjoyable life at its Hahndorf cellar door.
“The origins of the fondue, which had friends socialising in the Switzerland Alps sitting around a pot of bubbling cheese while sipping wine around 800BC, so it’s a time-honoured custom we thought deserved to be revived,” Sheree Sullivan, Director and General Manager at Udder Delights said.
The fondue for two – and that’s two adults with BIG appetites – costs just $54.
“It’s all about conviviality, where groups can catch up at our Adelaide Hills cellar door, and savour the deliciousness of yummy morsels – including Barossa Fine Foods double smoked kransky, cornichons, mini balsamic pickled onions, Adelaide Hills seasonal fruit and lots of hot, freshly baked baguettes – dipped into a mouth-watering, molten cheese lava.
“Of course, to keep your palate grounded and keep you from having the cheesy goodness tip you over the edge, there’ll be plenty to wash it down with, from a crisp and bubbly local Hills cider to equally bubbly wine and beer.”
“A word of warning, though….be careful who you sit next to and make sure your wallet is overflowing as we’re sticklers for tradition,” Ms Sullivan said.
Udder Delights is located at 91 Mount Barker Rd, Hahndorf SA 5245
They will be closed on December 24th and 25th.
- SA gains new national park with appointment of NilpenaSouth Australia officially has another national park with the recent appointment of Nilpena Ediacara National Park with 60,000 hectares of land now under protection.
- Brewboys Brewery reveals new kids corner, first of renos to comeMuch-loved tap house and kitchen Brewboys Brewery has unveiled a new kids corner in their Croydon Park space, and more are coming.
- New crème brûlée and lamington hot chocolates available at Koko BlackAppealing to serious chocoholics, a limited edition winter menu is now available at the popular chocolatier, and will run until August 11.
- ‘Weird and wonderful’ South Aussies offered $3000 to star in new TV commercialThe TV ad is filming next month and is on the lookout for South Aussies who are “a little bit different and a whole lot of fabulous”.
- Stop what you’re doing, Cadbury released a Clinkers blockStop what you’re doing, the ultimate Pascall Clinkers and Cadbury chocolate collaboration has been bestowed upon us!