Tradition has it that when bread falls off a woman’s fork and into the pot, she must kiss her neighbour…but if a man drops anything into the pot, he has to buy a round of drinks for the table.
Sounds like a lot of fun…and the tradition is alive and well in the Adelaide Hills, with the award-winning Udder Delights Cheese Cellar bringing the quintessential Swiss dish back to its vibrant and enjoyable life at its Hahndorf cellar door.
“The origins of the fondue, which had friends socialising in the Switzerland Alps sitting around a pot of bubbling cheese while sipping wine around 800BC, so it’s a time-honoured custom we thought deserved to be revived,” Sheree Sullivan, Director and General Manager at Udder Delights said.
The fondue for two – and that’s two adults with BIG appetites – costs just $54.
“It’s all about conviviality, where groups can catch up at our Adelaide Hills cellar door, and savour the deliciousness of yummy morsels – including Barossa Fine Foods double smoked kransky, cornichons, mini balsamic pickled onions, Adelaide Hills seasonal fruit and lots of hot, freshly baked baguettes – dipped into a mouth-watering, molten cheese lava.
“Of course, to keep your palate grounded and keep you from having the cheesy goodness tip you over the edge, there’ll be plenty to wash it down with, from a crisp and bubbly local Hills cider to equally bubbly wine and beer.”
“A word of warning, though….be careful who you sit next to and make sure your wallet is overflowing as we’re sticklers for tradition,” Ms Sullivan said.
Udder Delights is located at 91 Mount Barker Rd, Hahndorf SA 5245
They will be closed on December 24th and 25th.
- Three Amigos is taking over Munchies for one night of cheap tacosVisit Munchies in Port Adelaide for $6 tacos and wear your sambrero to score yourself a free beer all thanks to Three Amigos.
- Latest updates revealed for Tea Tree Plaza parking plansTo fight the paid parking plan by centre operators, Westfield, the bill has been fast-tracked to prevent further hip pocket pain for shoppers and retail workers.
- Fly interstate from $58 with Jetstar’s flash flight salesPlan your next quick trip because with flights leaving Adelaide for as little as $58 you’d be silly not to jump at the opportunity.
- Coming soon: NEW idyllic cottage café, Hey George, to open this JulyHey George is the next café due to open in Goodwood, promising to introduce picnic days in its garden during the summer months.
- Coming soon: “Radical Italian” sandwich shop, Pinco Deli, set to takeover EastwoodPinco Deli hopes to take inspo from Melbourne’s booming sarnie scene and open a “radical Italian” sandwich shop in Adelaide’s inner-South.