Featuring a female-driven cast of aerial, burlesque and cabaret performers, SOMNIA is a new, late-night show about sleep, debuting at Gluttony this Fringe season.
The show is inspired by producer Rebecca Castaldini’s journey living with narcolepsy, a sleep disorder that “disrupts arousal.”
Symptoms of narcolepsy include extreme and vivid dreams, night terrors, hallucinations, sleepwalking, and constantly falling asleep at times when you should be awake.
Upon sharing her experience of Narcolepsy with the cast, Rebecca discovered lots of the other cast members had experience with things like nightmares and lucid dreams, so were one hundred percent on board with the direction of the show.
The name SOMNIA orginates from Roman Mythology; the God of Sleep had a thousand children, known as Somnia (sleep shapes), who took on different forms to visit people during slumber.
Among these children were Fright and Fantasy, who was married to Hallucination and Relaxation. His siblings included Death and Destiny, so Somina is destined to be a dark and brooding show that will delight and perhaps, at times, frighten.
Dreams have inspired much art throughout history and to this day still mystify scientists, scholars, mystics and the everyday human.
Dreams can often be frightening, sometimes delighting, and at other times extremely confusing, and these sensations are what Somina brings to the stage.
As Rebecca says, there is no rest for the wild or wicked, or for people with Narcolepsy (although they sleep a lot).
Tickets start from $15 and can be purchased via Fringe website here.
- The Ghan announces first-ever day trip to the Clare ValleyJourney Beyond have just announced the launch of the Ghan’s first-ever day trip to Clare Valley!
- The full list of winners from the 2021 SA Restaurant & Catering HOSTPLUS Awards for ExcellenceSouth Australia’s best restaurants, dining experiences, caterers, menus, chefs wine lists and more were awarded tonight at the Adelaide Convention Centre. Here’s a list of the winners.
- Australia’s best mini golf course is opening soon in South AustraliaGet ready Adelaide, because the country’s best mini golf course is opening soon and it looks epic!
- SA’s Hugh Hamilton Wines recognised as top 10% of attractions worldwideHugh Hamilton Wines announced on their Facebook page last week that they have been officially recognised as the top 10% of attractions worldwide by Tripadvisor.
- How you can support Rosemont Hall and Sunny’s Shop following devastating fireThe devastating news from this morning that the beloved Rosemont Hall and Sunny’s Shop in Prospect has been destroyed following a vicious fire has left many wondering how they can help.