Featuring a female-driven cast of aerial, burlesque and cabaret performers, SOMNIA is a new, late-night show about sleep, debuting at Gluttony this Fringe season.
The show is inspired by producer Rebecca Castaldini’s journey living with narcolepsy, a sleep disorder that “disrupts arousal.”
Symptoms of narcolepsy include extreme and vivid dreams, night terrors, hallucinations, sleepwalking, and constantly falling asleep at times when you should be awake.
Upon sharing her experience of Narcolepsy with the cast, Rebecca discovered lots of the other cast members had experience with things like nightmares and lucid dreams, so were one hundred percent on board with the direction of the show.
The name SOMNIA orginates from Roman Mythology; the God of Sleep had a thousand children, known as Somnia (sleep shapes), who took on different forms to visit people during slumber.
Among these children were Fright and Fantasy, who was married to Hallucination and Relaxation. His siblings included Death and Destiny, so Somina is destined to be a dark and brooding show that will delight and perhaps, at times, frighten.
Dreams have inspired much art throughout history and to this day still mystify scientists, scholars, mystics and the everyday human.
Dreams can often be frightening, sometimes delighting, and at other times extremely confusing, and these sensations are what Somina brings to the stage.
As Rebecca says, there is no rest for the wild or wicked, or for people with Narcolepsy (although they sleep a lot).
Tickets start from $15 and can be purchased via Fringe website here.
- BNKR hosting massive sample sale this weekendBNKR Store is hosting a massive sample sale this weekend with all of your favourite brands from just $10!
- Screenmakers Conference to inspire the next generation of storytellersThe MCX Screenmakers Conference is running July – August 2021, for the seventh year, bringing together industry professionals and storytellers for an event like no other.
- SA’s first dedicated rum distillery, Mad Monkey, launch Caribbean Tiki tasting roomAdelaide’s first dedicated rum distillery, Mad Monkey Distillery, are launching their brand-new tasting room with a Caribbean Tiki twist.
- South Australia’s first vegan deli coming soon from Let Them EatPopular vego & vegan eatery Let Them Eat have announced they will open a new stall and vegan deli at the Adelaide Central Market later this year.
- Meet the resident pups at South Australia’s cellar doorsAs well as incredible locally grown produce and stunning vineyard views, these cellar doors are home to some adorable furry friends.