The proofs in the bottle South Australians! Not to boast, but us South Australians already knew that we are pretty great at making wines. Turns out that we could be the best in the country. The Young Gun Of Wine Awards have been released and out of the Top 50, 19 are from SA!
Yes, you heard that right, practically half of Australia’s best young winemakers are from South Australia. It is no lie that almost everyone enjoys a good wine, especially here in SA, so there is truly no excuse not to crack open a bottle of some SA wines and support our absolutely brilliant young winemakers.
Here are SA’s best young winemakers (we’ve omitted the rest of the country, we don’t need that Margaret River wine):
- Ben Cooke from Cooke Brothers Wines, Adelaide Hills
- Jono Hersey from Hersey Vineyards, Adelaide Hills
- Matt Broomhead from Three Dark Horses, Adelaide Hills
- Phillip LeMessurier from Corduroy Wines, Adelaide Hills
- Greg Clack from Chain of Ponds, Adelaide Hills
- Alex Head from Head Wines, Adelaide Hills
- Damon Koerner from Koerner Wine, Clare Valley
- Steven Baraglia from Naked Run Wines & Pike Wines, Clare Valley
- Vanessa Altmann from Switch Organic Wine, Eden Valley
- John Hughes from Rieslingfreak, Eden Valley
- David Geyer from Geyer Wine Co., Barossa Valley / Eden Valle
- Steve Crawford from Frederick Stevenson & Giovanni Armani Giorgio, Barossa Valley
- Josh Pfeiffer from Whistler, Barossa Valley
- Michael Papps from Yelland & Papps, Barossa Valley
- Alex Sherrah from Sherrah Wines, McLaren Vale
- Andre Bondar from Bondar Wines, McLaren Vale
- Rob Mack from Aphelion, McLaren Vale
- Matt Eaast from Rouleur, McLaren Vale
- Con-Greg Grigoriou from Delinquente Wine Co, Riverland
3 South Australian wines also made the final top 12, those being, Damon Koerner from Koerner Wine in the Clare Valley, David Geyer from David Geyer in the Barossa Valley and Rob Mack from Aphelion in the McLaren Vale.
Chief Judge of the award, Nick Stock says that “the celebration of our Top young winemakers is an incredible moment in the showcase in that it draws together the future of Australian winemaking in one group.” And we think that it is pretty amazing that us South Aussies are so amazing at wine. South Aussies, there is no excuse, before you get home tonight visit your local liquor store and buy some South Aussie wines because turns our we are the best (which we already knew).