Beginning on 13 June at Palace Nova Eastend Cinemas, the Festival bursts onto screen with one of the most star-studded and talented casts assembled in modern Spanish cinema – including the phenomenal Ricardo Darín, Luis Tosar, Javier Cámara, Eduardo Noriega, Leonor Watling, Candela Peña and Cayetana Guillén Cuervo. Cesc Gay’s A Gun in Each Hand is a witty and brutally hilarious portrait of forty-something men and the changing gender roles of contemporary Spanish society.
This year’s closing night event showcases Luis Buñuel’s 1970s classic Tristana, the surrealist masterpiece starring Catherine Deneuve that explores religion, politics and love in a way that marks it as a revolutionary film to this day. The dark, artistic love story will close the festival this year, with a nod to this internationally revered Spanish director who changed the landscape of cinema forever.
In addition to these two key events, the 16th Spanish Film Festival will feature 20 other stand-out Spanish and Spanish-speaking Latin American titles.
“This is an exciting year for Spanish cinema and our program reflects the quality emerging from these regions. We are thrilled to present 21 Australian premieres that capture the true spirit and scope of Spanish and Spanish-speaking Latin American film,” said Palace Cinemas’ Acting National Festivals Manager Genevieve Kelly, also highlighting the introduction of a number of special events including tapas and live entertainment.
The Festival will also welcome Mexican director Natalia Beristáin as a guest whose debut feature, She Doesn’t Want to Sleep Alone (No quiero dormir sola), crafts a gentle, character-driven drama about two women at very different stages of life but need one another more than they realise.
16th Spanish Film Festival full film list:
- 15 Years + 1 Day (15 AÑOS Y UN DIA). Director: Gracia Querejeta Country: Spain
- A Gun in Each Hand (UNA PISTOLA EN CADA MANO). Director: Cesc Gay. Country: Spain. OPENING NIGHT FILM
- All is Silence (TODO ES SILENCIO). Director: José Luis Cuerda. Country: Spain
- Bypass. Director: Patxo Tellería, Aitor Mazo Country: Spain
- Carmina or Blow Up (CARMINA O REVIENTA). Director: Paco León Country: Spain
- Clandestine Childhood (INFANCIA CLANDESTINA). Director: Benjamín Ávila Country: Argentina/Spain/Brazil
- Dark Heaven (CIELO OSCURO). Director: Joel Calero Country: Peru
- Days of Grace (DIAS DE GRACIA). Director: Everardo Gout Country: Mexico/France
- Don’t Fall in Love with Me (NO TE ENAMORES DE MI). Director: Federico Finkielstain Country: Argentina
- Gone Fishing (DÍAS DE PESCA). Director: Carlos Sorín Country: Argentina
- Hold Up! (¡ATRACO!). Director: Eduard Cortés Country: Spain/Argentina
- I Want You (TENGO GANAS DE TI). Director: Fernando González Molina Country: Spain
- Operation E (OPERACIÓN E). Director: Miguel Courtois Country: Spain/France
- She Doesn’t Want to Sleep Alone (NO QUIERO DORMIR SOLA). Director: Natalia Beristáin Country: Mexico
- The Artist & the Model (EL ARTISTA Y LA MODELO). Director: Fernando Trueba Country: Spain
- The Body (EL CUERPO). Director: Oriol Paulo Country: Spain
- The End (FIN). Director: Jorge Torregrossa Country: Spain
- The Farewell (LA DESPEDIDA). Director: Juan Manuel D’Emilio Country: Argentina
- The Girl from the South (LA CHICA DEL SUR). Director: José Luis García Country: Argentina
- The Mexican Suitcase. Director: Trisha Ziff Country: Mexico/Spain
- The Summer Side (DEL LADO DEL VERANO). Director: Antonia San Juan Country: Spain
- Tristana. Director: Luis Buñuel. Country: Spain/Italy/France. CLOSING NIGHT FILM
16th Spanish Film Festival
Venue: Palace Nova Eastend Cinemas, 251 Rundle St, Adelaide
Season: 13 – 23 June 2013
Tickets: Palace Movie Club Members $15/ Full $19.50 / Conc $16.50
Bookings: Palace Nova Eastend Cinemas