A state-wide Code Blue response for people sleeping rough will be activated tonight due to forecast extreme weather.
During a Code Blue activation, Housing SA, together with its non-government partners, makes additional accommodation available for extended hours for people sleeping rough.
Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink said a Code Blue would be activated tonight due to forecast weather conditions.
“The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning over parts of the state, including forecast thunderstorms, strong winds and rain and that’s why, together with our homelessness partners, we’ll be activating a state-wide Code Blue tonight,” said Minister Lensink.
In the metropolitan area:
• Westcare (Baptist Care SA) 11/19 Millers Ct Adelaide: Wednesday – overnight accommodation to commence from 3pm (up to 25 individuals)
• Street to Home will be providing additional outreach services to people rough sleeping: Wednesday – will be offering additional outreach
• Trace-A-Place (SYC) 135 Currie Street Adelaide: Wednesday – extending hours until 7pm
• Hutt Street Centre 257 Hutt St: Wednesday – will be offering extended hours 12.30pm to 5.30pm with their Wellbeing Service
• say.kitchen 78 Currie St, Adelaide: Wednesday – overnight accommodation to commence 6.30pm (up to 15 individuals)
• The Homelessness Gateway Service will continue to operate 24/7.
Anyone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness is encouraged to contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308, including anyone in the regions.
“It is thanks to these services that we are able to keep people sheltered and dry during this extreme weather,” said Minister Lensink.
Minister Lensink said a substantial number of people experiencing homelessness were already in motel rooms as part of the Marshall Liberal Government’s swift coronavirus pandemic response.
“Currently, there are 175 South Australians experiencing homelessness in motels as part of the Marshall Liberal Government’s COVID-19 response to prevent the spread of the coronavirus,” said Minister Lensink.
“Supporting South Australians into safe, secure and stable long-term housing is our continued aim and we are committed to helping people into a range of housing options following their stay in motels.”
Current Code Blue criteria, as determined in conjunction with the Government’s NGO partners, includes:
• Conditions predicted to continue for at least three days by BOM with any two of the following: temperatures dropping below an average night-time low of 6C, significant rainfall and damaging wind, OR
• Conditions predicted by BOM to continue for at least five days, when temperatures drop below an average night-time low of 5C, OR
• Any other factors related to extreme winter weather which require a Code Blue response.