The full breakdown on what is and isn't permitted during lock down • Glam Adelaide

The full breakdown on what is and isn’t permitted during lock down

Here’s the full list (so far) of reasons to leave home, which businesses can open, health services operating, what happens with animals, exercise, travel, aged care, masks & more.


A new Direction has been issued by SA Police in relation to the Stay at Home requirements for South Australia as a Circuit Breaker to the current COVID-19 outbreak.

The Emergency Management (COVID-19) (Stay at Home) Direction 2020 has been issued. This Direction came into effect as of 0001 Thursday 19 November 2020 and is applied alongside all other Directions that are currently in place under the Emergency Management Act 2004 (SA) but prevails where any inconsistencies may arise.


➡️ The Stay at Home period will begin at 12.01am on Thursday 19 November will end on 12:01am on Wednesday 25 November 2020. All people in South Australia will be required to Stay at Home for the entire period.

➡️ Community activities including business, professional, educational, academic and government activities MUST STOP operation unless it is carried out in line with this direction or does not involve leaving the home.

➡️ Once the Direction commences people must travel as quickly as possible, but within 24 hours, via the most direct practical route home and must remain there for the entire period.

➡️ This does not apply if a person is otherwise advised by a medical practitioner to relocate. Similarly, this is not applicable to a person if they do not have a home to reside, if it unavailable or if the person is at risk of harm if they were to stay.

➡️ All gatherings are prohibited other than between those who ordinarily reside at the home or as part of an activity occurring in accordance with this direction.


Who is deemed an Essential Worker?

Essential worker means a person who performs work that is essential for the continued operation of any of the following:

  • a supermarket, butcher, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger (but not an indoor or outdoor market)
  • premises commonly known as a bottle shop
  • a financial institution
  • a post office
  • a pharmacy
  • a hardware store
  • a petrol station
  • a distribution centre
  • a pet store or veterinary clinic
  • the following emergency services:
    • fire fighting services
    • paramedical services
    • ambulance services
    • medical retrieval services (including Royal Flying Doctor Services)
    • police services
    • State Emergency Services
    • military and defence services deployed in South Australia.
  • essential infrastructure and essential services (within the meaning of the Essential Services Act 1981)
  • vehicle and mechanical repair services
  • roadside assistance services
  • National Heavy Vehicle Regulator compliance activities
  • government or local government services (whether provided by government, local government or outsourced) determined to be essential by the relevant Chief Executive
  • consular and diplomatic services
  • Australian Border Force and Commonwealth law enforcement and intelligence agency services
  • journalist and media services
  • a factory or facility that is not able to be shut down without causing damage to plant and equipment, but only those operations that are necessary in order to prevent that damage
  • organisations that provide urgent services necessary for the health and safety of any person, animal or premises i.e The performance of emergency plumbing services, Centrelink services or Food banks
  • public transport, including taxis and other public passenger services
  • air transport (including the operation of airports)
  • freight services (including postal and courier services)
  • essential health services
  • a blood bank (including blood bank collection and delivery)
  • care services for people with particular needs because of homelessness, age, infirmity, disability, illness or a chronic health condition
  • childcare, early childhood education and primary and secondary schooling services
  • hotel or motel accommodation
  • truckstops and roadhouses, including the provision of food for seated consumption at, or take away from, a truckstop or roadhouse by a truck driver
  • production and distribution of food and groceries for sale by a supermarket, butcher, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger (but not an indoor or outdoor market), other than production at a red meat abattoir; and liquor for sale at premises commonly known as a bottle shop; and medical and pharmaceutical products
  • primary industries only to the extent necessary to ensure adequate supply of food and care of crops and animals.

I’m a FIFO worker, can I go to my job?


I am an Essential Worker. Will I have to show ID if Police stop me?

Please ensure you have identification on you and where possible evidence to prove your workplace/occupation.  This could include but is not limited to workplace id, uniform etc.

I work in the construction sector, am I able to go to work?

No. The construction sector is closed.


One person (a dependent or person for whom the one person provides care can also attend) can leave their home for the purposes of obtaining an essential goods or service from a:

▪️ consular and diplomatic services;

▪️ distribution centre;

▪️ financial institution;

▪️ hardware store;

▪️ bottle shop;

▪️pet store or veterinary clinic;

▪️ petrol station;

▪️ pharmacy;

▪️ post office;

▪️ supermarket, butcher, fruit and vegetable store or fishmonger (but not an indoor or outdoor market);

▪️ urgent services necessary for the health and safety or any person, animal or premises; and

▪️ vehicle mechanical services.

Shops defined above may open and close at any time for the purposes of essential goods or services.

People may also leave their home to:

▪️ access child care, primary or secondary education services if

  • the child is a child of an essential worker; or
  • the child resides in the care of the State; or
  • there are circumstances of vulnerability determined by a government agency, school, funded family or family violence service, and education or care outside the family home is considered necessary.

▪️ adhere to shared parenting arrangements (court or otherwise);

▪️ comply with a legal requirement at a place such as a police station, court or other home relating to justice or law enforcement;

▪️ donate blood;

▪️ ensure adequate supply of food, care and exercise to animals that are situated away from the home if no other person is available;

▪️ escape harm or risk of harm, including in relation to family violence or violence of another person at the home;

▪️ obtain essential health services;

▪️ provide care and support to a relative or other person due to their health or because of homelessness, age, infirmity, disability, illness or chronic health condition;

▪️ provide child-minding assistance so that the parent/guardian can leave to obtain essential goods or service and/or for the purpose of undertaking duties as an essential worker;

▪️ provide end of life support to an immediate family member;

▪️ undergo a COVID-19 test; and

▪️ undertake work as an essential worker.

• In an emergency

• On a day on which the fire rating is severe or higher, to take preparatory steps for the purpose of moving, and to move by the most direct and practicable means to another suitable premises

• To comply with a legal requirement that must be fulfilled during the defined period, including, but not limited to, attending: a police station; a court or other premises for purposes relating to the justice or law enforcement system

• If the person is permitted to leave Australia, for the purposes of leaving Australia.

People may also leave their home in an emergency situation.

In doing so a person may use public transport for any of these purposes detailed above.

They must travel to and from the location via the most direct and practicable means.


Essential health services are provided under Schedule 1 of the Stay At Home Direction which can be found here and includes provisions for medical, dental and mental health services:…/stay-at-home

What is deemed essential health services?

Essential health services includes:

  • emergency surgery, procedures and medical consulting undertaken for the investigation, diagnosis and management of conditions where failure to do so expediently and safely will lead to the following outcomes such as loss of life, loss of limb; or permanent disability
  • non-emergency but urgent surgery, where:
    • loss of life where appropriate health intervention would otherwise have prevented this
    • permanent disability where appropriate health intervention would otherwise have prevented this.

What can be performed by dentists?

The following medical procedures may be performed by dentists:

  • procedures and surgical treatments undertaken by dentists in authorised public health care centres (consistent with Level 5 COVID-19 Dental Service Restrictions published by the Australian Dental Association) in the management of—
    • patients with obvious facial swelling due to infection ie. vestibular swelling (no trismus), facial swelling (with trismus)
    • facial trauma
    • severe unrelenting pain.

Can IVF procedures be performed?

Yes, procedures to complete—

  • any cycle of IVF treatment that a patient has commenced before the commencement of this direction
  • any procedure required for the preservation of eggs for future IVF where required health treatment will render eggs non-viable

Can surgical termination of a pregnancy be performed?

Yes, the surgical termination of a pregnancy can be performed.

Can drug and alcohol services be provided?

Yes, drug and alcohol services may be provided.

What allied health services can be provided?

The following allied health services may be provided:

  • allied health services provided by allied health professionals working as essential workers in hospitals providing critical clinical care or as directed by the hospital
  • allied health services provided by allied health professionals working in private practice providing care through telehealth and other virtual care options
  • students, medical/nursing/midwifery/allied health on placement providing essential care in hospitals or through telehealth.

What mental health services can be provided?

The following mental health services may be provided:

  • hospital emergency or inpatient psychiatric services
  • allied health professionals providing mental health services in hospital
  • private consultant psychiatry practice by telehealth or by face-to-face (but only in the instance of emergency clinical care for potentially life-threatening situations where telehealth is not clinically appropriate)
  • allied health professionals providing mental health services in community settings by telehealth or by face-to-face (but only in the instance of emergency clinical care for potentially life-threatening situations where telehealth is not clinically appropriate).


Are schools open?

Schools are closed to all children except for children of essential workers, children in care of the State, or in circumstances where a child is considered vulnerable.

Are Universities/tertiary education facilities open?

No. Universities/tertiary education facilities are closed.

Will child care centres remain open?

Yes, but only for children for children of essential workers,  children in care of the State, or in circumstances where a child is considered vulnerable

Hospitality / Entertainment

Can I keep my takeaway shop open?

No. All takeaway food shops must close. The only takeaway permitted is from truck or roadstops servicing the freight and transport industry, and only to truck drivers.

Are bottle shops open?

Yes. Bottle shops can remain open.

Are there any hospitality venues open?

No, pubs /cafes/ restaurants /food courts are closed.

Can I go to the movies?

No. Cinemas are closed.


Can I leave the house to do some exercise?

Leaving the house to exercise is not permitted.

Will I be able to play any recreational sport?

No.  Recreational sport is not permitted.

Can I attend a bootcamp?

No. Bootcamps are not permitted.


Can I travel to the regions?

No, regional travel is not permitted.

I had booking at a holiday home/rental home. Can I go and stay there still?

You will need to move to a suitable place where you can stay for the next 6 days, you will need to do this as soon as possible. This could include a Holiday home/rental home, but you will not be permitted to leave the home once you arrive.

Aged Care

Will residential aged care homes remain open?

No, residential aged care homes are closed, with the exception of end of life visits.


Is all of South Australia impacted by these restrictions?

Yes. The restrictions apply to all of South Australia.

Is it mandatory to wear a mask?

No, however masks are strongly encouraged when outside the home.

Can I feed my livestock?

Yes, you are permitted to leave your home to feed livestock.

Can I go to the beach?


Can I leave my house to walk my dog?


Will my Veterinary clinic be open if my pet gets sick?

Yes.  Vets are permitted to be open.

Are weddings permitted?

No, weddings are not permitted.

Are funerals permitted?

No, funerals are not permitted.

Can I conduct an open inspection?

No. Real estate open inspections are not permitted.

What will happen after the initial six days of restrictions?

It is anticipated that a further eight days of lesser restrictions will follow, but these will be detailed and provided in the coming days.

Please remain calm and be patient while we work together to get this information out to the community of South Australia. All directions, frequently asked questions and other information can be found here:

You will need to wait for further information in relation to this however, if you have any pressing questions in relation to COVID-19 information please contact the SA COVID-19 Information Line on 1800 253 787 between the hours of 9am to 5pm 7 days per week or go to the SA Health website at or

Related Articles

Hot News