On May 24th the markets are having their 5th birthday and it’s all going to be about celebrating organic producers as well as supporting and educating the local community on environmental and health issues surrounding our food choices.
The event will include:
- Birthday celebrations of 5 years working with growers and the community;
- Educating people about sustainable food production, supporting local Aussie Farmers and small businesses;
- Senator Nick Xenophon, a champion supporter of farmers, will team up with our local beef producers Trevor and Janelle from Gum Park Beef in a “Cook-off” with Minister Paul Caica, our local MP, who will partner with local cherry grower Gary Beaton;
- Educating children about the importance of eating a variety of foods through hands on cooking classes with Joanne Stirn from My Kitchen Rules. Children will shop at our market and collect produce from the onsite kitchen garden and farmers to cook in the Farmacy kitchen program;
- Demonstrating the benefits of organic products and farming production systems through our Farmer’s Table where you can come and meet local organic farmers and taste their organic products;
- Old Macdonald’s Nursery Farm and Live entertainment; and
- Most importantly a hand picked selection of fantastic stalls offering a variety of products so you can do your entire household shopping at one stop.
About The Markets
Adelaide’s vibrant organic market is full of certified organic fresh produce and winner of the 2013 Civic Award for Sustainable Business of the Year. In addition to the fresh produce, the market features stalls selling fresh baked and cooked certified organic food ready to eat. They also have eco-friendly, handmade and sustainable products for sale.
The market is an anchor in the local community providing not only fresh, locally-grown food, but a gathering place where neighbours can come together, share recipes, watch a cooking demonstration, and learn about nutrition.
The organic market sponsors local school gardens with seedlings to encourage children to understand where food comes from and the nutritional value of eating a variety of food groups.