Australia Day falls on a contentious date for our country, a date Glam Adelaide believes should be changed.
This January 26, take the time to reflect on Australia’s history, and show respect for one another’s stories, our nation, and its people.
The Australia Day Council of South Australia’s Chief Executive Officer, Jan Chorley, says this year’s Australia Day theme is encouraging South Australians to, “Reflect, Respect and Celebrate. The Story of Us.”
“We invite South Australians to reflect on this great land and its people as we embrace the spirit of Australia Day 2021,” she says.
“We reflect and pay respect to our First Nations peoples, we will honour our essential workers who have risked their lives to save ours and celebrate the diversity of who we are, our spirit and endless optimism as we look into the future.”
However, we are all about supporting South Australian businesses and people, so if you’re looking for something to do today, here’s some of the events happening across our great state.
Tandanya: Survival Day at Tandanya
Tandanya is hosting their annual Survival Day event in 2021,which showcases the strength and resilience of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples through exhibition, dance, music and cultural sharing. Survival Day is a FREE, family friendly, non-political event offering cultural presentations, live entertainment, information, market stalls, great food, retail shopping and much more.
The Central Markets: Aus Day in the Markets
The Australia Day Council with first national and multicultural groups are hosting live cooking demonstrations at the market as well as a traditional smoking ceremony and an interactive art installation plus other events from January 21-January 26
Australia Aay at Avenues Café Bar
Avenues Café Bar is hosting an Australia Day event featuring food specials and $20-dollar cocktail jugs.
Australia Day at the Colonist
Classic Norwood pub the Colonist is throwing an Australia Day celebration equipped with $14 premium Gins and $26 gins plus of course food specials.
Australia Day at the Mile End
West side institution the Mile End is throwing an Australia day soirée where you can build your very own gin fizz for only $13 dollars as well as an all-day happy hour and $10 dollars off bottles of wine.
Australia Day in Rundle Mall
Celebrate with your mates in the mall over four days from 11am to 2pm with multicultural performances and migration stories.
Smoking Ceremony mourning in the morning
Smoking Ceremonies are an ancient custom among First Nations peoples in which healing and cleansing native plants are burnt to acknowledge the ancestors and pay respect to the land, waters and sea of country. The Australia Day 2021 Smoking Ceremony at Botanic Park/Tainmuntilla will be a FREE ticketed event for 1,000 people.
Australia Day at the Unley.
The Unley will be open on Australia day, with food specials and an all day happy hour.
Lucky’s Beach Club ‘Straya Day Vodka Cruiser Party
Lucky’s beach Club is playing host to what is sure to be a wild ‘Straya Day Vodka Cruiser Party” where you guessed it, cruisers are the star of the show. It goes from 12pm-2am with DJ’s playing all day and entry at $20
Renmark Swimming Centre
Renmark Swimming Centre is marking the Australia Day Holiday by setting up an inflatable fun run over the pool. A Swimming test is required to take part and it will run from 1pm ’til 3pm on 26 January.
Waikerie Australia Day Event
Great news as the Waikerie Australia Day event will be going ahead as they received a grant meaning all tickets will be $5 while children under 15 are free. The capacity is capped at 1000 so get in quickly.
Find all the info on their Facebook page here
Musque Food and Wine Australia Day
Musque Food and Wine in the Barossa are putting on a real treat with a $30 bbq feed me menu from 12pm ’til 4pm as well as brewers from local breweries onsite to dish out a few cold ones.
- A guide to the ultimate mates weekend in the cityHaving a staycation in the city or North Adelaide with friends? Here’s some great options to ensure you have an amazing weekend away.
- An Adelaide Guide to the Melbourne CupCelebrate the race that stops the nation in style by heading to the best events in Adelaide for Melbourne Cup Day this November 2.
- The ultimate guide to SA rent-a-racks and preloved marketsPre-loved stores are opening all over Adelaide and it’s such a positive way to source and sell your items. Give your clothes a new home and help the planet!
- Rediscover Hahndorf with our guide to its spectacular hidden gemsJust 30-minutes from the CBD, the tree-lined settlement is ready to expose South Australians to the magical hidden gems that lay beneath Hahndorf’s German heritage blanket. Revealing some of the most intimate cafes, vibrant and invigorating wine bars, unique fashion and homewares, and family-friendly activities- It will give you every reason to go back!
- Our top events to check out in Adelaide this OctoberWe’ve selected ten of the best events taking place this October so you can start planning how to spend your Spring days and nights!