Santos Tour Down Under race organisers have made the decision to implement changes to the Big Screen Video Stage 3 race route and cancel the Bupa Family Ride on Thursday 18 January 2018.
With temperatures forecast above 40 degrees, conditions will be extremely challenging for the peloton and the fans roadside.
Race Director, Mike Turtur has confirmed the distance of the Big Screen Video Stage 3 from Glenelg to Victor Harbor has been reduced by 26 km or two laps of the final circuit due to extreme heat.
“The safety and welfare of the riders, spectators and everyone involved with the race is always our primary concern,” said Race Director Mike Turtur.
“We consulted with rider representative Adam Hansen (Lotto Soudal) and with our Chief Commissaire, and both agreed it would be sensible to shorten the stage distance.”
The riders are still expected to finish in Victor Harbor close to the published time of 2.53pm.
In addition to the shortened race route for the professionals the decision has been made to cancel the Bupa Family Ride scheduled for earlier in the day in line with the event’s Extreme Weather Safety Plan Hitaf Rasheed, Executive Director, Events South Australia said that the decision to cancel the family activity, which would have run for the first time in region, was done in consultation and with the support of sponsors Bupa and emergency services.
“We take the safety and welfare of all Bupa Family Ride participants very seriously. We know there will be disappointed participants, however safety is our priority, and our Extreme Weather Safety Plan was developed with that in mind,” said Hitaf Rasheed.
All Bupa Family Ride paid registrations will receive a full refund of their registration fee within 15 working days.
All complimentary entries for Bupa members will be cancelled and require no further action.
Significant planning has gone into the activities for Victor Harbor to celebrate the race.
These will continue as planned and we encourage everyone to still head to Victor Harbor to welcome the peloton.