Adelaide’s first, and largest ride sharing app Uber, unveiled plans to bring its popular Uber Pet service to the Australian market earlier this year.
The service was launched in Adelaide after being trialled from in Brisbane and Sydney.
The app shared a message out to all Adelaide users today stating “your pet has to be restrained at all times and ready to be a 5-star passenger.”
Uber Pet is available in the Uber app as a separate option, alongside UberX, Comfort and Pool.
The service allows one pet per journey, and will match you to a driver who is happy to pick up pets, and will cost you around $6-7 per ride.
“All household pets are accepted on rides, including turtles and hamsters, as well as caged birds and fish in bowls or bags,” and “riders can can bring more than one animal at the driver’s discretion.”
Ride share app Shebah have a pet policy allowing you to (usually) bring your pet along for the ride.
Shebah is Australia’s leading all-women rideshare.
Some helpful Uber Pet Tips from the USA – should you ever get the chance to use the service:
HOW DO I REQUEST AN UBER PET TRIP?
1. In the Uber app, enter your pickup and dropoff location
2. Under “Choose a ride,” select “Uber Pet”
3. Tap “Choose Uber Pet” to confirm
4. When your driver arrives, you can bring your pet inside the vehicle
DOES IT COST EXTRA TO TAKE AN UBER PET TRIP?
Since you’ll be bringing along a pet, Uber Pet trips will cost more than other vehicle options.
In addition, if your pet leaves waste, excessive hair, or damages the vehicle, you could be charged a cleaning fee. To avoid being charged a cleaning fee, see our helpful tips below.
TIPS FOR BRINGING PETS ON UBER TRIPS
– Have your pet restrained with a leash, harness, or placed in a crate/carrier
– Help drivers keep vehicles clean for your drivers and all riders by bringing a blanket/towel to cover the seat and reduce the risk of damage or mess
– Ask your driver if they have a preference for where your pet should sit
– Do not leave your pet unattended