The annual Wakefield Press Book Sale is on again this coming weekend featuring massive discounts, children’s titles, and the launch of a wonderful new book about one of Adelaide’s most flamboyant characters!
Wakefield Press is one of South Australia’s own home-grown publishers and their annual book sale is a great opportunity to stock up on some amazing local titles just in time for Christmas. The bargains will include 3 history books for the price of 2 across their full range of history titles, and their ever-popular $5 book specials.
We’ve reviewed a number of Wakefield titles over the year and as you will see from the sample reviews below, there are going to be some pretty good books up for grabs at the sale!
- Otherwise Known as Pig, by Catch Tilly – we rated it 5/5
- Mary Lee, by Denise George – we rated it 4/5
- Blooms and Brushstrokes, by Penelope Curtin and Tansy Curtin – we rated it 5/5
- Central Market: Stories, People & Recipes, by Fiona Roberts and Katie Spain – we rated it 4/5
- Curious Recollections: Life in the Curiosity Show, by Rob Morrison – we rated it 4/5
- Images of the Interior, by Philip Jones – we rated it 4/5
- Foundational Fictions in South Australian History, edited by Carolyn Collins and Paul Sendziuk – we rated it 5/5
- Behind the Wall, by Mary Geyer – we rated it 5/5
At 2pm on the day, ABC Radio’s Peter Goers will also launch Patricia Sumerling’s stellar new book, Bert Edwards: King of the West End. Albert Augustine Edwards, usually referred to as ‘Bert’, was one of Adelaide’s most flamboyant characters, born in obscurity in the slums of Adelaide’s West End in 1888. He became a city councillor, parliamentarian and philanthropist, a friend of the poor and scourge of the establishment, and soon became known as the ‘King of the West End’. Flash in dress and loud in manner, he brooked no opposition until a sex scandal was engineered against him in 1931, sending him to prison for nearly two-and-a half years.
Come for the launch and treat yourself to some fantastic books then, while you’re at it, cross a few names off your Christmas gift list too.
Wakefield Press Christmas Book Sale
Where: 16 Rose Street, Mile End
When: 15 December from 10am to 4pm