The city will host numerous events this long weekend to mark ANZAC Day, Australia’s national day of remembrance.
Visitors, local residents and community groups are encouraged to head into the city and join in the commemorations.
Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood will be laying a wreath at the Dawn Service and the Light Horse Remembrance Service and will also attend the march and the ANZAC Day Concert.
“It’s all about acknowledging our ‘Diggers’, a great day to come together as a community and pay tribute on ANZAC Day,” Stephen said.
ANZAC Day events to be held in the city include:
- ANZAC Day Eve Youth Vigil – 6pm Sunday April 24th until 6am Monday April 25th – National War Memorial, North Terrace.
- ANZAC Day Dawn Service – 6.15am Monday April 25th – National War Memorial, North Terrace.
- Light Horse Remembrance Service – 8.00am on Monday April 25th – Light Horse Memorial, corner of North Terrace and East Terrace.
- ANZAC Day March – Monday April 25th at 9.30am – starts the corner of Kintore Avenue and North Terrace and finishes at the Cross of Sacrifice on Sir Edwin Smith Avenue
- Cross of Sacrifice Service – Monday April 25th at conclusion of March at approximately 11.35am – National War Memorial, North Terrace
- Grand ANZAC Day Concert – Monday April 25th from 2pm to 4.40pm – at the Adelaide Town Hall. Bands and soloists will perform popular songs from World War I and II. Tickets are $60 and available through BASS. For further information visit: http://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/action/EventDetail?svMLI_ID=111417,pc=WHATSON
Visitors to the City on ANZAC Day will enjoy free on-street parking in unrestricted areas and anyone who presents their service medals or is dressed in military uniform will receive free parking at the Rundle Street and Grenfell Street UParks. Opening times are as follows:
- Rundle Street UPark: Open all day until 2.00am Tuesday April 26th
- Grenfell Street UPark: 8.00 am to 6.00 pm
Access to Rundle Street UPark will be via York Lane and Bent St (off Grenfell) between 8am and 11am due to the march. Frome Street, Pirie Street, Grote Street, Topham Mall and Central Market Uparks will also be open on ANZAC Day. However normal charges will apply.
The following roads will be closed on the day for the ANZAC Day Dawn Service:
- Kintore Avenue between Morgan Thomas Lane and North Terrace from 4.00am until 7.15am
- North Terrace between Pulteney Street and King William Road from 5.00am until 7.15am.
The following roads will be closed for the ANZAC Day March from 8.00am until 12.00 noon:
- Pulteney Street between Wakefield Street and Pirie Street
- Pirie Street between Frome Street and Wyatt Street
- Grenfell Street between Frome Street and Wyatt Street
- Rundle Street between Frome Street and Pulteney Street
- Hindmarsh Square between Pirie Street and Grenfell Street
- Pulteney Street between Grenfell Street and North Terrace
- North Terrace between Frome Street and Station Road
- King William Road between Kermode Street and North Terrace
- Sir Edwin Smith Avenue between Kermode Street and King William Road
- Pennington Terrace between King William Road and Sir Edwin Smith Avenue
- Victoria Drive between Kintore Avenue and King William Road.
Waymouth Street, between Bentham Street and Young Street will also be closed from 5.00am on 25th April until 1.00am on 26th April for the Union Hotel ANZAC Day Diggers Reunion.
There will be numerous on-street parking restrictions in place and motorists are advised to read all signs before leaving their vehicles.