Ben & Jerry’s Openair Cinemas are back with a bang this summer, bringing music by day and movies by night to Adelaide’s Glenelg Foreshore. As part of a nationwide series of events, which are enjoyed by more than 150,000 people across Australia, the Adelaide leg of the tour will take place on the lawn of the Brian Nadilo Reserve, overlooking the ocean, from March 1 until April 12 2015.
With live music from an array of Adelaide’s best up-and-coming artists every Saturday and Sunday – the latter with free ice cream and games as part of the Ben & Jerry’s Sundae Sessions – Ben & Jerry’s Openair Cinemas will once again be recreating their famously fun and friendly festival vibes.
Melbourne stars Husky, the Sundae Sessions season headliners, will be kick-starting proceedings before a screening of Johnny Depp’s new smash-hit comedy ‘Mortdecai’ at the Charity Launch on March 1. Having toured with the likes of Gotye and Mumford & Sons, the trio are set to perform tracks from their second album ‘Rucker’s Hill’. Tickets to the biggest night of the season are on sale now and all proceeds from ticket sales go to WWF-Australia’s efforts to protect the Great Barrier Reef.
Husky comments, “We’re really looking forward to playing the Ben & Jerry’s Sundae Sessions. You can’t go wrong with film, music and ice cream. Plus we get a chance tohelp a great cause, the World Wide Fund For Nature.”
The other top musical acts guaranteed to have guests grooving until sundown include the unique acoustic melodies of Christian Andrew, Thom Lion and his rebellious cohorts The Tamers, the eclectic, genre hopping sound of Rod Ladgrove and folk songstress Alice Haddy plus many more will be taking to the stage.
Open Tuesday to Sunday throughout the season, films will be shown on a 2K HD digital cinema system and colossal 12m by 6m screen. Complete with Klipsch superior sound and the latest in professional audio technology, moviegoers can look forward toenjoying an alfresco cinema experience like no other. This season has a strictly limited capacity so guests are advised to book ahead to secure their tickets.
Films on offer include an assortment of the latest and greatest new releases, a selection of sci-fi thrillers, cult classics and firm family favourites including:
- The Theory of Everything – the remarkably true story of famed theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking starring Eddie Redmayne, hot off his 2015 Golden Globes Award win for his standout role in this film.
- The Imitation Game– follows the brilliant British mathematician, logician, cryptologist, and computer scientist who led the charge to crack the GermanEnigma Code that helped the Allies win WWII.
- Dirty Dancing– the classic coming of age drama that documents a teenage girl’s relationship with her saucy dance instructor.
- Frozen Sing-a-Long– sing along to this Academy Award winning musical fantasy about a fearless princess setting off on an unforgettable journey to find her estranged sister.
- Fifty Shades of Grey – the highly anticipated film adaption of the infamous erotic romance novel that has swept the globe. Starring Jamie Dornan as the handsome, brilliant and intimidating Mr Christian Grey.
- The Interview – a very special ‘April Fool’s Day’ screening of the controversial political satire comedy that almost didn’t make it to the movies! The film sees lovable funny men Seth Rogen and James Franco star as American journalists who become embroiled in a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un.
Adding a touch of comfort to a night under the stars, deckchairs, bean loungers and blankets can be hired aspart of the ticket packages available. Cinemagoers can also opt for a
Volkswagen Polo Class ticket, whichincludes reserved premium seating with a blanket and cushion for extra film-watching luxury, a drink and a Ben & Jerry’s shortie.
Complementing the entertainment line-up is a fully licensed bar stocked with a wideselection of Giesen Wines, 4 Pines Beers and Rekorderlig Cider and there will also be a delicious range of gourmet pizzas.
Ben & Jerry’s ice cream will be cooling down those balmy evenings with a range of legen-dairy flavours and for those who can’t get enough of the sweet stuff, Ben & Jerry’s will be scooping up unlimited free ice cream for every Sundae Session. As always, the Sundae Sessions also include a host of lawn games including Putt Putt, Pick-a-Pat and Giant Cow Jenga.
On top of all this, Ben & Jerry’s Openair Cinemas will be the ultimate place to kickstart the weekend each and every Friday as Aperol Sunsets will see the best local DJs take to the decks to provide the perfect musical backdrop for Aperol Spritz sundowners.
Alex Khadra, Openair Cinemas’ Director comments: “Our first year at Glenelg Beach was a roaring success and we’re really excited to be back for a second season. With the dramatic sun-setting skyline and fresh ocean air providing the perfect backdrop for a night at the movies for families and friends, we’re proud to present award-winning classics and up to the minute latest blockbusters at one of the best beachside locations in South Australia.”
Having visited Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra, Adelaide is the fifth stop of the nationwide Ben & Jerry’s Openair Cinemas tour which will go on to excite audiences in Perth this March 19 to April 26.
To purchase tickets visit openaircinemas.com.au.