In order to help people suffering, we need to raise awareness. That is why, on September 10, a special Cocktail Fundraising Event will be held to raise funds for World Suicide Prevention Day and R U OK? Day.
With both of the days falling on the same date this year, it only seemed appropriate to hold the special charity event on the same day. The proceeds will go directly to the not-for-profit organisation R U OK?
On average there are almost seven deaths by suicide in Australia every day. For every life lost it is estimated a further 30 people attempt suicide. This is more than 200 attempts per day, or one new attempt every 15 minutes. These are staggering and heartbreaking statistics.
In order to help people suffering, we need to raise awareness. By raising awareness of suicide it can hopefully be prevented in two ways; firstly, the people who are lucky enough to have not experienced losing a loved one this way gain knowledge on how to spot some warning signs, and secondly, those who may be struggling in silence are being shown that there are people who care about their life and they’re not alone in this battle.
Candice Golding, the woman behind the fundraiser has organised the event in a bid to help others like herself.
“I am the person I know who has mental health issues, and it is my dream to help others before it is too late. I’m not waiting for someone I love dearly to commit suicide in order to take action, I’m taking action to prevent suicide.”
Stay With Us Fundraising Event
What: Fundraising event for World Suicide Prevention Day and R U OK Day.
When: Thursday 10th September, 6.30pm to 9.00pm.
Where: Adelaide Arcade. Entry via Grenfell Street.
Cost: $55 per ticket, with $35 per ticket a direct donation to the not-for-profit organisation R U OK?. Receipts can be made available for tax purposes.
Entertainment & Food: Ticket purchase covers catered light finger food, SA beer from BrewBoys Brewery and wine from Lost Buoy Wines, plus soft drink + sparkling water. There is a door prize on the night, as well as live acoustics from Adelaide talent Amy McDonald.
Attraction: Silent auction items for the night have been generously donated by a number of groups.
These items include:
· Signed Adelaide 36ers jersey and signed replica game ball
· Signed Adelaide Strikers polo
· Signed Hilltop Hoods album
· Signed CD of award winning comedian Sammy J
· A football from the Adelaide Crows signed by Taylor Walker and the late Phil Walsh, accompanied with a certificate of authenticity
· Fashion illustration from Belinda Zanello (SA designer)
· Oil Canvas artwork from Royalty Art (SA artist)
· Painting from Hannah Sinkinson (Channel 10 & SBS Hair & Makeup artist)
· Hand painted wooden jewellery by Bow & Arrow 89
· Pilates package from Queen Street Pilates
· Styling & wardrobe rental package from The Wardrobe Collection
More Information: Visit www.facebook.com/staywithusadelaide or search “stay with us.”. All proceeds from silent auction items, raffle tickets sold, and other donations will be directly donated to the R U OK not-for-profit organisation.