Photo: John-Paul Drake with an SA Rock Lobster
If you’ve ever been to Kingston SE or Robe, you’ve probably had the chance to try Southern Rock Lobster. We made a point of it on our last trip, and it was worth the hype. Many South Australians haven’t had a chance to enjoy the delicacy however, with high prices and limited availability.
In 2018–19, China was the destination for approximately 94% of Australia’s $752 million of rock lobster exports.
The outbreak of COVID-19 is expected to have a significant impact on the rock lobster industry in the short term as a result of reduced demand and limited opportunities for alternative markets.
Luckily for South Aussies, increased availability due to limited exports, and a new collaboration between two proud family owned businesses Ferguson Australia and Drakes Supermarkets, means Southern Rock Lobster will be made affordable once again this Christmas.
From this week, the general public will be able to find South Australian Southern Rock Lobster at all 43 outlets of Drakes Supermarkets in South Australia, making Drakes the first major retailer to sell Southern Rock Lobster this Christmas Season.
Andrew Ferguson, Managing Director of Ferguson Australia said “We are extremely excited to be partnering with Drakes Supermarkets to showcase our award- winning South Australian Southern Rock Lobster.”
South Australian Southern Rock Lobster is normally RRP $125kg AUD, but Ferguson Australia and Drakes Supermarkets have partnered together to give its customers a $50 per kilo off this Christmas, bringing it to $75kg.
Roger Drake, Managing Director of Drakes Supermarkets said “We are thrilled to be working with our long-time supply partner Ferguson Australia this Christmas. It has been a very tough year for all Australians, and we wanted to give back to our loyal customers with a gift this Christmas. What better way than to make this Christmas something special by sharing an amazing SA Rock Lobster with your family on Christmas day.”
It will be available in the Delicatessen and Seafood departments at Drakes Supermarkets in South Australia.
For the full list of stores stocking South Australian Southern Rock Lobster, check the Find your nearest Drakes Supermarket tab on the Drakes Supermarket website.
- Queensland border to open on SundayThose travelling from greater Brisbane will be able to enter SA without quarantine requirements.
- Uni of Adelaide makes record number of offers to local studentsAmid very strong demand, the University of Adelaide will make a record number of offers to local students for university places in 2021.
- The Brighton Jetty Sculptures return this JanuaryBrighton Jetty Sculptures is expected to have over 200 wonderful indoor and outdoor sculptures by SA and interstate artists.
- 21 Adelaide & SA craft beer microbreweries worth frothing overAhh, beer! Surely the gift that keeps on giving, connoisseur or not.
- La Boca Bar & Grill launches a six-course Omakase menu feat. their famous AsadorWith talented chef Nicolas Arriola at the helm, a wide repertoire of Argentina’s amazing cuisine is on show, particularly in the two new six-course Omakase menus.