The 6th International Organic Wine Awards 2015 was the most successful since its establishment in 2009 and South Australian based winery, Gemtree Wines, took home a swag of awards.
The Family owned, McLaren Vale based winery walked away from the competition with a total of 6 awards including 2 Grand Gold, 3 Gold and 1 Silver.
Gemtree Wines achieved organic certification in 2011 and is currently certified by Australian Certified Organic. Their 328 acres of premium vineyards are also farmed using biodynamic practices. The Gemtree sustainable cellar door is located in McLaren Flat and the family is dedicated to growing better wine ~ naturally.
A total of 220 wineries and distributors out of 20 countries with 923 organic wines took part in the 2015 awards which is a record attendance.
Grand Gold wines are characterised as world-class wines, which can cause an unforgettable, defining and sensual experience. In the Gold category are international peak, first-class wines which belong to the most expressive of their kind. Whilst Silver rated wines are excellent wines from sensorially remarkable substance groups, which awaken experienced tasters´ attention.
Gemtree’s award winning wines include: Grand Gold (96 – 100 points), 2013 Ernest Allan Shiraz (Cellar Door Exclusive), 2013 Bloodstone Shiraz Gold (90-95 points), 2013 Obsidian Shiraz 2013 Cinnabar GSM (Cellar Door Exclusive), 2014 Luna Roja Tempranillo Silver (83-89 points) and 2012 The Phantom Red Blend Four.
Gemtree’s highest scoring wine with 98 points and equal second out of the entire list of 815 award winning wines, is their newest release 2013 Ernest Allan Shiraz. This wine also recently received 4.5 Stars at the Winestate Magazine ‘Organic Wines Tasting’ 2015 and is available exclusively at the Gemtree sustainable cellar door.
If you haven’t heard about Gemtree, who they are and why they do what they do, here is a little background on this fantastic South Australian winery making waves amongst the world of organic wine.
Ernest Allan Rivers was the Grandfather of Andrew Buttery, Executive Director, and Sister Melissa Brown (nee Buttery), Biodynamic Viticulturist. Ernest Allan was a market gardener, he understood the relationship between the earth and his plants so Gemtree tried to encapsulate his philosophy with this first release. According to Melissa’s husband and Gemtree Wines’ Chief Winemaker Mike Brown, “Ernest Allan Shiraz reflects the true character of our premium organic shiraz blocks and the sustainable, chemical free farming that Ernest also used to grow his produce so many years ago. This wine is literally Ernest – honest and true. The perfect accompaniment to winter warming lamb shanks”.
Mike and Melissa’s philosophy is simple, minimal intervention in the winemaking process and a more environmentally conscious farming system to produce wines which are powerful, concentrated, and express the true characteristics of each grape variety and the region. The Gemtree family see themselves as custodians of the land and their approach to sustainability is simply that it is the right thing to do. It is not just about winemaking but about setting new standards for sustainable, generational farming.
You could experience the beautiful McLaren Vale with a luxury getaway thanks to Gemtree Wines. Valued at over $9000, this unbelievable prize includes:
- QANTAS return flights to Adelaide from the winner’s nearest capital city in Australia
- Airport transfers in a luxury S Class Mercedes Benz limousine and an exclusive wine tour including lunch by the award-winning-McLaren-Vale-based Wine Diva Tours
- 3 nights’ accommodation at the McLaren Eye where you can stay and indulge in luxurious comfort
- Bespoke, private degustation at The Salopian Inn with the Head Chef Karena Armstrong and Gemtree Wines Chief Winemaker Mike Brown. The customised menu and wine pairing will take you on an exclusive behind-the-scenes food and wine journey. Taste the wines that motivated Mike to produce what he does today and the gastronomic delights that shaped Karena’s history with food
- A full day coast, hills, vines and gorge tour of McLaren Vale with Off Piste 4WD Tours
- Structured tasting with the Winemaker at the Gemtree Sustainable Cellar Door including a regional platter and bottle of wine
- 2 cases of premium McLaren Vale wine delivered to your door. Including wines from Gemtree, D’Arenberg, Wirra Wirra, Paxton, Kangarilla Road and Dog Ridge
To enter the competition head here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/gemtreewinesluxuryweekend