COVID-19

Adelaide wastewater concerns return negative COVID result

In a press conference yesterday, Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier addressed the South Australian public with concerns for the state in relation to the unfolding situation across borders, and positive cases in truck drivers who have passed through SA.

In a press conference yesterday, Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier addressed the South Australian public with concerns for the state in relation to the unfolding situation across borders, and positive cases in truck drivers who have passed through SA.

On top of this, Spurrier also announced concerns of a positive detection of COVID-19 in the wastewater of two South Australian areas, Hallett Cove/Sheidow Park and Salisbury.

Following a second test, Spurrier announced this morning that the wastewater has proved to be negative with what is assumed to be a historic case shedding the virus.

The northern suburb wastewater result was assumed to be shedding from a positive case linked to the Modbury cluster some weeks ago, and is of no risk to the public.

The southern suburb detection is expected to also be a shedding of the virus from someone who may have travelled through the area post infection.

While this is good news for the state, there are still high levels of concern for the infections in truck drivers who travelled through SA in previous weeks.

As announced by Spurrier yesterday, there are now five positive cases in truck drivers in the last six days, with the initial two from NSW going through Port Augusta and Ceduna over last week with the numbers continuing to rise among other drivers.

Spurrier said that the third truck driver came from NSW too, travelling through SA and receiving a positive result on 30 August. He had a test in NSW on Saturday 28 August and had not received the positive result until after passing through SA, which saw him notify his workplace who got hold of those who were working around him and put them into quarantine.

The fourth truck driver is a man in his 20s who has now left South Australia. He had a test on 31 August, and since travelling back to Victoria has returned a positive result.

The fifth driver and his possible exposure locations are currently being identified with what Spurrier says is an extremely timely situation to protect the state.

Those who have been in the exposure locations as previously listed have been contacted by health officials via SMS and need to be tested immediately and quarantine for 14 days. A Port Wakefield testing clinic has now opened from 9:00am to 4:00pm.

SA Health continue to update exposure locations, with a new location added overnight in Wingfield, Pinaroo and Tailem Bend.

Read the full list of exposure locations in South Australia here: https://bit.ly/3tfA0Ec

ALL SOUTH AUSTRALIANS WHO HAVE SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19 SHOULD GET TESTED ON THE DAY SYMPTOMS APPEAR.

Symptoms include:

– Fever or chills (in the absence of an alternative illness that explains these symptoms)
– An acute respiratory infection e.g. cough, sore throat, runny nose, or shortness of breath
– Loss of smell or alteration in the sense of taste
– Diarrhoea and vomiting

For more information: SA COVID-19 Information Line 1800 253 787; sahealth.sa.gov.au/COVID2019.


Want more news from Glam Adelaide?

• Follow us on Facebook
• Follow us on Twitter
• Follow us on Instagram

Get the latest news in your inbox
• Subscribe to our eNews

[adrotate banner="159"]
To Top